General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Engine Swap...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 11:26 PM
HCF Member
Default Engine Swap...

So, I am not sure of the engine in my civic right now. It is the 1990 Honda Civic CX Hatchback. And, I was wondering if anyone knows this...

Will a "1.7L DOHC VTEC b17a motor removed from a 1993 integra gsR(160,000kms), whichincludes close ratio 5 spd transmission, ecu, uncut wire harness" fit easily into my Hatchback? Like, is there going to be any modifying of engine mounts or anything? Also... How complicated is it to wire up the engine into the car, with the wiring harness and everything.

As far as I can tell, the engine was made by Honda Motors.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:58 AM
Default RE: Engine Swap...

It's actually pretty easy, I think you mean b16a GSR 1.8L vtec right?

all you need is conversion mounts (found on most performace websites), and axels to fit... harness is fine you just need to add 3 wires for Vtec for the solinoid... everything else should fit right in, exhaust will have to be "custom fit" I say that because many companies make swap exhaust now.

I got my H22a swap started for my 95 dx hatch and it seems to be going smoothly, no hang ups so far..

the only think that might be a problem is running out of patience.. it takes time lots of it to get it right

good luck with it. any other questions just message me, a close friend has done many GRS and LS swaps in hatch, coupe, and sedan civic my source is just a txt away

Old 05-06-2008, 03:55 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: obracer12

It's actually pretty easy, I think you mean b16a GSR 1.8L vtec right?

all you need is conversion mounts (found on most performace websites), and axels to fit... harness is fine you just need to add 3 wires for Vtec for the solinoid... everything else should fit right in, exhaust will have to be "custom fit" I say that because many companies make swap exhaust now.

I got my H22a swap started for my 95 dx hatch and it seems to be going smoothly, no hang ups so far..

the only think that might be a problem is running out of patience.. it takes time lots of it to get it right

good luck with it. any other questions just message me, a close friend has done many GRS and LS swaps in hatch, coupe, and sedan civic my source is just a txt away
B16 is a 1.6 liter...thats why it is B....16....16 = 1600 cc...well (1595 cc) same thing..

taken from this site

http://faq.ef-honda.com/index.php?si...=4&lang=en

Engine: 1992-1993 USDM B17A1
Displacement: 1678cc
Compression Ratio: 9.7:1
Rod/stroke ratio: 1.68
Hp/Torque: 160hp@7600rpm/117lb-ft@7000
Transmission: YS1 (short geared cable)
OBD: 1
ECU: P61 (pretty much a P30)

This motor came ONLY in 92-93 integra GS-R’s. It is essentially a stroked B16 with low compression. The B17 and B16 blocks are the same in all aspects except the block stamp. The difference is in the crank, rods, and pistons (lower comp). The b17 cams are also better than the 88-97 b16 cams. These are great motors but are a tad hard to find and the price varies a ton. If you can, try and get one with a stock GS-R tranny. It is one of the shortest geared ones out there and it’s a cable tranny(!). Unfortunately they only came in OBD1 so again you have some choices

The OBD problem:
Your car is OBD0 and this motor is OBD1. Almost all of the wiring is different. So you can convert the motor to obd0 by installing a 1g b16 distributor, getting an OBD0 VTEC ECU, and getting a whole bunch of OBD0 sensors (or putting OBD1 plugs on your OBD0 harness). You can utilize the OBD 1 injectors if you don’t use an injector resistor box. If you get a PW0 or PR3 I would suggest getting it chipped for the displacement increased. This is of course not as good as dyno tuning but it helps.

The other option is to convert your whole car to OBD1. There is a lot of work involved. Here’s a link: http://www.geocities.com/kurtsi_on/page7.html

Old 05-06-2008, 08:57 PM
HCF Member

yes, that is the engine in my car... and it has the stock tranny. close gear ration and such.

if obracer12 is correct though, with the wiring and such, i am going to do it. the engine + tranny is just a grand.