General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Default engine swap

i have a 2000 civic ex with d16y8 motor. im looking to do a engine swap but have no clue what engine i can put in my civic to were there is less modifications such as motor mounts and wireing harness. i know i would have to change the ecu out for sure. would a b18a motor fit into my 2000 civic ex. if so does anyone what i would have to get for it and were i could go look for these engines im so desperatly wanting. thanks. oh btw my car is an automatic

Last edited by 2000 civic; 03-10-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Banned

So your gonna do a tranny swap too right?

Old 03-10-2009, 07:08 PM

"im looking to do a engine swap but have no clue what engine i can put in my civic" is too vague... there are TONS of engines you could swap in. Do research and narrow it down to a couple, and then ask questions. Anything you need to know about what swaps you can do can be found via google or searching on this forum.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:30 PM
HCF Member

no, you cannot swap a b18a. The motor going into your car has to be of the same year as your car or NEWER.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Is the Y8 engine blown? If not, why not just swap in a manual transmission, which will give you much better performance.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:52 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
Is the Y8 engine blown? If not, why not just swap in a manual transmission, which will give you much better performance.
Ya, matter of fact I happen to have a manual trans for sale along with many of the parts for it. Also you could swap a b16 fairly easily.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by jpnolan
no, you cannot swap a b18a. The motor going into your car has to be of the same year as your car or NEWER.
Well legally at least.

It all depends where he lives though (even though it's illegal). For example, in FL, they don't give a rat's *** because there's no way for them to catch you (no smog, emissions, etc.) I could put a 1st generation Civic engine in my del Sol if I wanted and i'd never get caught.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by jpnolan
Ya, matter of fact I happen to have a manual trans for sale along with many of the parts for it. Also you could swap a b16 fairly easily.
how would i put a manual tranny in my car...besides wouldnt that be expensive to do. i just want the dohc rather than the sohc. i get more power with less on the dohc than i would on the sohc. or maybe if i can find a d16y8 engine with turbo built with it id take that. i searched google and stuff like that and im clueless. my oil pump went out on my car and it messed up my head and sme other things. it sounds like ****.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by 2000 civic
how would i put a manual tranny in my car...besides wouldnt that be expensive to do. i just want the dohc rather than the sohc. i get more power with less on the dohc than i would on the sohc. or maybe if i can find a d16y8 engine with turbo built with it id take that. i searched google and stuff like that and im clueless. my oil pump went out on my car and it messed up my head and sme other things. it sounds like ****.
A Civic automatic transmission (AT) will make almost any engine seem crappy. This is why many Civic enthusiasts do the AT to MT swap. But it does sound like you also need a new engine.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:45 AM
HCF Member

Ya swap in a new y8 with man trans or a dohc zc.

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
Well legally at least.

It all depends where he lives though (even though it's illegal). For example, in FL, they don't give a rat's *** because there's no way for them to catch you (no smog, emissions, etc.) I could put a 1st generation Civic engine in my del Sol if I wanted and i'd never get caught.
Good luck finding motor mounts, wiring harness or basically anything with that swap lol. They normally only make mounts and everything else for new or same year motors.

Quick Reply: engine swap