General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Evil Leaking Radiator - Fed Up With Stupid Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Default Evil Leaking Radiator - Fed Up With Stupid Repairs

So my radiator is possessed by the devil.

I go to look under the hood because I do that periodically just to do a short visual inspection to know what my fluid levels are at, oil looks like, etc. and I notice, there is coolant splattered on my intake, front of the battery, and on part of the lower radiator hose (cold side). Turns out there is a leak at where the upper hose meets the radiator. There is residue around the connection, a small puddle underneath the hose, on the top of the fan's plastic shell thing. It is running down the fan's shelland blowing all over my engine bay basically. Tomorrow me and my dad are going to take a look at it again, and attempt to fix it. My coolant reservoir level was at the maximum mark2 days ago, and is now halfway to the minimum mark.

The top of the radiator has corrosion and rust (small amounts) around the top edges of the radiator. Also, the radiator's part where the air blows on the radiator (is this the core?) seems to be kinda rusty a little in some places, and corroded in other places. (trace amounts).

Is this corrosion normal about the radiator itself? It is a 1993 and I suspect this is the original radiator. Should this be replaced anyway, even if the new hose solves my problem? If so, do you think replacing the radiator is urgent, even if the new hose solves my problems?

The car doesn't overheat, and only loses coolant while running. No puddles are underneath the car. It is not the head gasket, it's not burning coolant, just leaking it, as you can see in the picture.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20887/CABA3018C4FB4ACAA99DFDACFC226EE5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-28-2008, 08:42 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Evil Leaking Radiator - Fed Up With Stupid Repairs

If the car isnt overheating and the new hose fixes it, i dont see a reason to buy a new radiator.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:18 PM

i actually had the same problem with my rad. the problem was the clip around the upper hose to radiatorwas no longer strong enough to keep the fluid in. also didnt help that the hose was worn. since my rad. was old and the hoses were a lil worn, i just ended up buying some cheap rad. from advanced auto along with new hoses/clamps. insted of the crappy oem clamps, i used the clamps that have the lil bolt to tighten, makes for a more secure seal and easier to deal with.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:36 PM

i think i am going to flush the system and replace the hoses and clamps for now, and possibly get a new radiator when i can afford it.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:58 PM
HCF Member

If I where you I would still leave the radiator on...I would just change the clamps, flush itandadd a newhose....and replace the radiator when it gives up.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:42 AM

i had almost the same problem with my rad, the frist day i bought my car it was barley driven and on the way home it was aobut an hour drive the stock rad blew, there was a crack near the main cap. went and bought a new race rad and put that in my self after fitting the hoses the old clams wouldnt seal tight enough...... so i was loosing a full resivor tank a day and then i put all new clamps on and after that the hoses didnt keep the pressure so the top hose completly blew in the middle while i was out with a girl for a date .........( bad situation ) ...........

basically i think that if there is something wrong dont half as* it replace all that u can afford and make sure u, undersatnd the whole problem that you are dealing with.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:59 AM
HCF Member

It depends on what kind of condition things are in. How are the hoses? How are the clamps? How is the rad?

Hoses and clamps need to be changed over time. Coolant needs to be changed too. Rads get corrosion built up inside them, and they sometimes get damaged physically as well.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:00 AM

Well, I changed the hoses, clamps, and thermostat. Problem now is, I overtightened the air bleed bolt and broke the part it was bolted into. I can't find one anywhere and I need to drive my car to school tomorrow. Not even the junkyard has one.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well not sure about the bleeder valve.... BUT you could try some steel epoxy stuff try the area realy good and mix the 2part putty up realy good and mash it in the hole and all around it and maybe even use a steel hose clamp around the bottom over the top to hold it TIGHT after about 1/2hour so its kinda hardened and the clamp will just hold it firm so it doesnt posibly POP OUT and leak anymore....

ive used this stuff several times on emergency repairs. works great! just make sure you give it time to harden before starting up the motor.
i cannt remember exactly what its called.
you can pick it up at any autozone. comes in a round tube like the size of a quarter think, its black core and grey exterior. its a epoxy putty type that is also HIGH TEMP! so it will be fine with the high temps of the radiator.

it should work fine for a temp fix.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:15 PM

Imanaged to find one in my town after calling around, and they said they could get it tomorrow. But i needed it tonight. I need my car to drive to school tomorrow. Half of the places had no idea what I was talking about. Then I called the junkyardand he said he didn't want to take it off of a perfectly good cylinder head. I convinced him to let me come down there, and when I showed him what I needed he was like "oh, that's all it is?" and sold me it for 15 bucks used. Got home and put it on and everything's fine now. Stupid cooling system.

Quick Reply: Evil Leaking Radiator - Fed Up With Stupid Repairs