General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Fender Replacement - Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Default Fender Replacement - Newbie

Greetings,

I'm the proud owner of a used 99 EX. There is some cosmetic damage on both front fenders. It looks like someone backed into the fender on one side then went around and backed into the fender on the other side in the exact same spot. The damage seems to be limited to the fenders and front bumper on both sides. A visual inspection of the visible bolts/supports holding the fendor and bumper in place (from what I can see) indicate none of the supporting equipment was damaged during impact. I want to get the damaged repaired so I planned to get a quote from a autobody shop.

After looking around online for information on the topic I found a couple of places that sell Civic Body Parts.

http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.com

Based on the damage it looks like I would need to replace the bumber, bumper support, fenders and splash shields on both sides.

Does anyone know how involved this process is? Should it be as simple as unbolting the necessary parts and bolting on the replacement parts? I'm a technical engineer at work so I can't imagine this is brain surgery but its my only vehicle. I don't want unbolt the fender and watch the engine fall out.

Does anyone have any prior experence with specific part suppliers? I'm weary about carpartswhole.com because the BBB received 16 complaints about their service in the past 12 months. If anyone has another suggestion on where to buy parts for a reasonable price then any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

If I posted in the wrong forum then i'm sorry in advance. This seemed to be the only place I could post being new and everything.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:34 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Fender Replacement - Newbie

Well the bumber support is welded on but the other parts just unbolt so they aren't that hard. I have had them on and off my car about 3 or 4 times. Just a little peice of advice, don't tighten anything all the way down until you have all the peices on because you will have to move them around a little to get them aligned perfect and make sure they are okay before you close the hood. I haven't had any experience with any part suppliers though so I can't help you with that. I think Certifit is good from what I hear though.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Default RE: Fender Replacement - Newbie

I just checked and there is a Certifit location several miles from my house which works out well. The BBB has zero complaints in the past 36 months which is even better.

I'll take a drive down to their office and chat with one of the sales clerks.

Thanks for the help and the tip!