General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

A few problems.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 12:06 PM
HCF Member
Default A few problems.

Alright so my brother was driving my car with a couple of friends down this gravel road. The road has a ton of small bridges, sharp turns, and the road would split a lot, etc. Well my brothers going around 40 mph on a road with a speed limit between 5-15 mph (Depending on where you were). And wouldn't seem to slow down despite my demand to. Well we hit the embankment on a road that branched off. The embankment was about 3 1/2 feet of dirt and large rocks. Well we hit that going way too fast my car slammed into it caught a little bit of air and landed in a field. So far all I've noticed is cosmetic damage.

My bumper is completely trashed. Scratched, dented and flared out. Does anyone have a site where I can order a stock bumper that's pre-painted? Or just a stock bumper in general..
I'll take aftermarket bumpers as well.. (I'm new to this so I don't know where to really order all this..)

Now he also messed up my hood. The hood will latch but there is play in it now and it sits up higher than it used to. You can push it back down but it will not stay. Can anyone guide me on where to look, how to fix it, etc.

And if it helps I can take a few pics so you can examine what it may be..

Finally, on average how much does a new paint job cost? My car paint is all chipped up from the gravel.

I'm surprised nothing else broke.. But I am still looking so I hope I didn't just jinx myself..

Old 10-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Super Cereal Admin

honestly, I'd be surprised if the frame and suspension were all okay. But for the bumper cover, check ebay. Also, check AutoPartsWarehouse for the parts. I'm not really sure what the deal with the hood is, but my guess would either be the hinges, the latch, or (once again), a bent frame.

And for the paint job, if you keep it the same color, I'd guess around $1500-$2k from a decent shop.

Welcome to the forums btw, and sorry to hear about your EK

Old 10-05-2008, 12:18 PM
HCF Member

I haven't driven it yet, seemed to drive fine the rest of the way home..

And if I've got a bent frame what should I do, not waste my money/time modding my car?

It sucks when people respect their stuff and trash your own stuff.

And thanks for the welcome! I've been around for a little while, but I mostly just read as you can tell.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:03 PM
HCF Member

B!tch slap your brother, and tell him to do it for you. You shouldn't have to be doing the work especially when he broke damaged your car. He better be paying every dime that goes to putting it back to Original.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:09 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by xsteinbachx
B!tch slap your brother, and tell him to do it for you. You shouldn't have to be doing the work especially when he broke damaged your car. He better be paying every dime that goes to putting it back to Original.
Oh, he knows he's paying for it. But I won't even see the money until next summer.
I rigged it up and I guess I'm hiding it from my parents until he can pay for it..

Is it difficult to put on new bumper covers?

Old 10-05-2008, 01:33 PM
HCF Member

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...0QQ17111P.html
Is this around the normal price for a bumper cover?
Sorry for all the questions.. Just trying to get my car back to where it was.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Sounds like your hood is only engaging the safety catch. Don't drive fast or far like that, it will pop open. Should be able to adjust the latch or bend the hood to get it to latch securely again.

Then take the car for an alignment check. If the car looks straight and the wheels are still in alignment, the frame is likely OK.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:10 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Sounds like your hood is only engaging the safety catch. Don't drive fast or far like that, it will pop open. Should be able to adjust the latch or bend the hood to get it to latch securely again.

Then take the car for an alignment check. If the car looks straight and the wheels are still in alignment, the frame is likely OK.
I think that may be it.
I didn't see anywhere to adjust the latch..

Old 10-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I think you loosen the bolts holding the bottom latch receiver part on, then move that part up down or sideways.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:52 PM
HCF Member

Oh okay, I'll give that a try and see how it works tomorrow.
So That must mean he either bent the frame or the hood? I don't see it possible to just knock the latch down. Somethings got to be bent.
This sucks!

Quick Reply: A few problems.