General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Default Few Questions

1) If I get a Civic Si I plan on putting a turbo in it. Will I have to do anything else to the car if I get a turbo?

2) If I get an automatic instead of the Si, I'm getting a Civic with the Vtec engine. Which model with Vtec is fastest out of all automatic Civics?

3) Can you make an automatic Civic much faster? Without putting a Turbo in it?

Old 05-20-2011, 07:58 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by BELLium
1) If I get a Civic Si I plan on putting a turbo in it. Will I have to do anything else to the car if I get a turbo?

2) If I get an automatic instead of the Si, I'm getting a Civic with the Vtec engine. Which model with Vtec is fastest out of all automatic Civics?

3) Can you make an automatic Civic much faster? Without putting a Turbo in it?
1)yes. You'll need an intercooler, piping, turbo manifold and a new exhaust (assuming you still have the stock exhaust). You'll also need some sort of tuning program (Hondata or the like). You'll probably also want to get some ARP head studs to avoid head lift. Before you turbo it you need to run a compression test to check the life of your piston rings. There are tutorials on youtube. I'm sure there are some things I'm forgetting here...

2) There really isn't going to be any automatic civic's that are "fast". I'm sure the peppiest ones are the newest ones, however. But they still won't be "fast"

3) you can perform a manual transmission swap and then turbo it. haha.

Look man, the thing you've got to understand is that these cars are not built to be fast. Not even kinda quick. Their auto trannies weren't built to handle much abuse. And honestly, the only reason the manual transmissions hold up to any abuse at all is simply because of the nature of manual transmissions. It takes alot of *work, research and understanding* to make these cars faster while still being even remotely reliable. Anyone can slap on a turbo and injectors from an talon with a flipped HF manifold and call it a day... but the first run down the street they make with that car will result in a blown engine.

Do some searching and *reading* on this (and several other honda forums). Read about people's projects, how they've set them up and how they got them to work and *why*. The key to building a good project is understanding why it works the way it does. Then you'll be able to build your own project without having to ask these questions (that have been asked a million times before and are often ignored)

Good luck man. Tuning and working on these cars is a blast.