General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Finally removing duals - Pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default Finally removing duals - Pictures!

Well, as some of you know, I used to have a body kit, and had a dual exhaust system to go with it. Since then, I've removed the kit (I'm going for my own twist onthe jdm/type-r/sleeper look), but I never got around to having the duals taken off.Well, I've looked (with much sadness) at my duals for long enough. When I get time this week, I'm going to remove the y-pipe altogether (and sell the extra muffler to my friend). This will do a few things at once:
1)Remove an abhorrently ricy dual exhaust from my Civ
2)Return the pathetic amount of backpressure to my car
3)Shorten the exhaust system; the body kit had a big butt (lol)... the back bumper stuck out a little further than the stock bumper did, so the mufflers consequently stick out like 6"

I think having the muffler "sucked" under the bumper rather than sticking out 6"-8" (as well as only having one muffer)will look a lot better than what I've got going on now. Well, at least until I get around to getting some type-r lips and a good resonator. Then... custom cat-back, here I come!

I'll get pics up of the removal, and before/after shots. I'll also get some 0-60 times before and after just to prove what a dual exhaust takes away from your car. Then, when someone asks about dual exhausts, you can quote me

Old 05-06-2007, 10:28 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Finally removing duals

Lol yeah your gonna feel a little kick now when you press the gas.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:15 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: reaper2022

Well, as some of you know, I used to have a body kit, and had a dual exhaust system to go with it. Since then, I've removed the kit (I'm going for my own twist onthe jdm/type-r/sleeper look), but I never got around to having the duals taken off.Well, I've looked (with much sadness) at my duals for long enough. When I get time this week, I'm going to remove the y-pipe altogether (and sell the extra muffler to my friend). This will do a few things at once:
1)Remove an abhorrently ricy dual exhaust from my Civ
2)Return the pathetic amount of backpressure to my car
3)Shorten the exhaust system; the body kit had a big butt (lol)... the back bumper stuck out a little further than the stock bumper did, so the mufflers consequently stick out like 6"

I think having the muffler "sucked" under the bumper rather than sticking out 6"-8" (as well as only having one muffer)will look a lot better than what I've got going on now. Well, at least until I get around to getting some type-r lips and a good resonator. Then... custom cat-back, here I come!

I'll get pics up of the removal, and before/after shots. I'll also get some 0-60 times before and after just to prove what a dual exhaust takes away from your car. Then, when someone asks about dual exhausts, you can quote me
Please read this: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_39893/tm.htm

Old 05-06-2007, 11:19 PM
HCF Member

^ i hate to start an argument here, but backpressure isn't a myth, it might be in the fuel injected honda world, but not in the gas guzzling automobilia world years ago.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:04 AM
HCF Member

could be, but in this case, the article applys.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:01 AM

Yea back pressure does matter, when my exhaust broke on my DX just under the front seat area it had no low end power/torque at all...... it made a lot of noise but struggled like hell to actually drag itself anywhere.....

Old 05-07-2007, 02:41 AM

mine also was sluggish when it broke in the middle of the pipe. now i gots me a 5zigen pro

Old 05-07-2007, 07:27 AM

butt dynos are not the most accurate things in the world...

[sm=sigh.gif]

Old 05-07-2007, 08:20 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: khmer25

mine also was sluggish when it broke in the middle of the pipe. now i gots me a 5zigen pro
can vouch when it happened to me as well

but Reaper, good luck with ev erything! What size dual piping did you have? I've heard if you keep it fiarly small, like 1.75" you can still retain most of hte backpressure you need, but withut the kit the duals prolly look odd. Keep us updated!

Old 05-07-2007, 08:28 AM
Super Cereal Admin

ORIGINAL: cderalow

butt dynos are not the most accurate things in the world...

[sm=sigh.gif]
I never said they were. I also made no mention of horsepower at all. Please actually read the post before assuming. I said 0-60 times, which are a fully measurable thing. All it takes is a stopwatch and a car with a speedometer; I have both. All I plan on proving is that a dual exhaust slows a car down.

Thanks for the support, Flip and cyber... you guys are the only ones that posted here that seem to care about de-ricification and not whether or not backpressure applies to Hondas.

Quick Reply: Finally removing duals - Pictures!