General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

First oil change at 15,000, did i damage my car ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Default First oil change at 15,000, did i damage my car ?

I have a 2010 honda civic that uses regular oil, i changed it for the first time at 15 thousand miles, i didnt realize its importance, i was just adding oil my self.

I went to the lube express today and i was told my oil was really low and he recommended they vaccum my car for sludge. I declined cause i wasnt sure how bad it needed it and because i wasnt sure if the sales rep was just trying to sell me more serivces like changing my fair filter for 60 bucks.

He said that the sludge is okay but it will burn the oil faster.

Have i damaged my car by waiting so long ?

Old 09-24-2012, 01:28 PM

Probably not. Sludge build up is possible. Honda never recommends a full engine flush to my knowledge. Some sludge can be broken off the walls etc which sounds like a good thing, unless it is just sitting in the oil pan. This could be sucked up by the oil pick up and clog the oil pump, starving your motor for oil.

Just make sure you get oil changes done more regaularly. If anything, get another one done after 2,000 miles. The best way to "flush" a Honda motor (and trans, too) is to be on a strict oil change schedule.

You should do your own oil changes. Those express places suck.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Some types of oil claim to contain a mild sludge remover, you should use that for a while. I agree with cvcrcr, change your oil again relatively soon. If the new oil is turning dark already that's a good sign as it is picking up some of the sludge. Well a good sign in a way that the sludge is being cleaned up, but a bad sign that your engine does contain sludge.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:59 PM

i have a few more questions if you guys dont mind, as you can tell im clueless when it comes to cars

my car is a lease and i really like the car and wanted to buy it, Would it be wise to buy this car considering it took me this long to do the oil change ? If i do another oil change at 2000,3000 miles and once a year after that would my car be in good condition to keep for long term ?

My car has minor paint chips from rocks, mainly on the hood of the car, im talking about 3 or 4 small maybe the tip of a pencil size areas. could this lead to problems in the future ?

Old 09-26-2012, 12:34 PM
HCF Member

If I'm reading this correctly, the same oil was in there for 15,000 miles AND 2 years? either way I think you're hosed as your lease probably requires you provide documentation of maintenance. Once they see you ran it for that long without changing the oil they'll probably hit you big time.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You can always buy out the lease and keep the car at the end if they're going to assess a big penalty upon returning it. The price to buy out is always the same, they don't care about the condition of the car since it won't be their car.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:51 PM
HCF Member

switch to full synthetic, I prefer pennzoil ultra or amsoil, then mobil 1. If you put 7500 miles on it a year do an oil change during before summer and winter.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by cirpoxr
I have a 2010 honda civic that uses regular oil, i changed it for the first time at 15 thousand miles, i didnt realize its importance, i was just adding oil my self.

I went to the lube express today and i was told my oil was really low and he recommended they vaccum my car for sludge. I declined cause i wasnt sure how bad it needed it and because i wasnt sure if the sales rep was just trying to sell me more serivces like changing my fair filter for 60 bucks.

He said that the sludge is okay but it will burn the oil faster.

Have i damaged my car by waiting so long ?
If you were adding oil then you probably have some sludge (or a leak). As others suggested just use a high-detergent oil and change it frequently for a while. Check your oil every fillup. As the sludge breaks down you will probably have less oil loss. It also gives you something to do while the gas is going in.

Something else - For the next few oil changes, run the car to operating temperature and drain it hot, and let it drain for a while (perhaps even an hour or more). That will help get the sludge broken up and drain out. Be careful though - that oil is around 250 degrees so it will burn you. A good all-cotton denim shirt from a goodwill store and some gloves can help keep you from getting burned.

If you are really concerned have a mechanic pull the valve cover off (or do it yourself) and check for sludge around the valves. If there is a significant amount it can probably be cleaned by simply scooping it out. I doubt you will find too much though.

BTW I would about pay someone to change the air filter on my wife's Accord. It is a real pain in the rear. The intake hose is stiff and there are about three or four hoses going into it that also have no give. Haven't tried my Civic yet.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 10-16-2012 at 06:43 AM.