General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

First Visit to Honda Dealer, do they haggle??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 07:39 AM
Default First Visit to Honda Dealer, do they haggle??

Over the weekend I had my first ever visit to a Honda Auto Dealer (I've had several Honda bikes over the years).

My first impression was they salesman was extremely pushy. I wasn't two steps in the front door and he was on me.

He got too close to me, invaded my space, I'd step back and he moved in again, that was a bit uncomfortable. Very in my face kind of salesman.

Does Honda deal much on Civics?? I have a feeling they are probably selling well enough that they don't have to deal. If I don't pay full price, someone else will, ya know?!?!?!?!

Old 10-10-2005, 08:46 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: First Visit to Honda Dealer, do they haggle??

not necessarily. Depends on your bargaining skills i suppose. Just go in there armed with as much info as possible and do a little negotiating.

Old 10-10-2005, 08:49 AM
HCF Member

I'd say hunt around on the net to find what you really want. Then make a few cold calls to get some locked in offers....then go to the dealership you really like and play hard ball. Remember they need your money, and you don't have to buy from them. Treat them like an ex, leave em hanging, and work the price till you fell less "screwed".
I hate the pushy sales people too. Gotta get it now, it won't last, yadda yadda yadda...
you can always get a lease return or a used from a private seller and not deal with to much hassle.Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Dogmeat
Treat them like an ex, leave em hanging, and work the price till you fell less "screwed".
That's correct.

You could do it by fax and save a lot of your time. What you do, is go to a dealer and find the car and options that you want. Then write it up on your computer as a "Tender", and fax it out to some Honda dealers asking for their best price. The dealer that really wants to please you and make a few bucks at the same time will return your fax with a price. Then you simply compare prices since the car will be the very same from each dealer.

If you prefer to do it in person, get rid of that pushy salesman and deal with someone else. You should feel comfortable with the salesperson that you're gonna be dealing with. The main thing to remember is that you have the power, and you're the one in charge because you have the money! Do not let a salesperson tell you what you want, or what you need. You can always walk away from a deal if you don't like it and return another day to try again. Do not sign anything until you are happy with the price and everything else.

A good salesperson would rather have a happy customer and sell a car for a little bit of commission, than try to get a lot of commission and lose the sale. Don't forget to negotiate.......no price is a set price.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:31 AM
HCF Member

Interesting, my dealership is nice. The guy I deal with is slightly pushy but thats the name of the game in sales. He calls me every other month to check in on me if I still want an s2000 . Ill eventually buy one from him lol.

Old 10-10-2005, 11:08 AM

GO to autobuyer.com get a price it will be rock bottom and the dealerships have to stand behind it you get a internet sales person when i went to buy me 05 sedan ex se the guy told me 21999 he could go no lower so after waisting about 2 hrs on him i left waited a week and did the online sales and i got 15699 out the door tax title tags and they stood by it.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:45 PM

ORIGINAL: BillOhio

Over the weekend I had my first ever visit to a Honda Auto Dealer (I've had several Honda bikes over the years).

My first impression was they salesman was extremely pushy. I wasn't two steps in the front door and he was on me.

He got too close to me, invaded my space, I'd step back and he moved in again, that was a bit uncomfortable. Very in my face kind of salesman.

Does Honda deal much on Civics?? I have a feeling they are probably selling well enough that they don't have to deal. If I don't pay full price, someone else will, ya know?!?!?!?!
if you're ever unhappy with a salesperson, don't be afraid to tell them you're going to work with someone else. like ngoti8tor said, you're the one paying them, they should be helping you, not the other way around. hopefully you live in an area where there are several honda dealers within a reasonable driving distance. hell, it would be worth driving an hour away if you can shave a couple thousand off the asking price. after working in a dealership, i actually learned it's not really the salespeople who are the jerks. it's the gm's who push them to make the sale no matter what. i used to hate watching customers take crap from the closer where i worked. i just wanted to tell them "walk out of the building and go somewhere else." i was able to buy my civic from there and then a couple months later i walked out.

i would do this: go onto websites like kbb.com and edmunds.com to get several possible prices on cars, and take that in to whatever dealership you go to. or, it's even better if you can get another dealership to quote you a price so you can go bargain shop. but, most dealers won't let you walk away with a quote written on any kind of paper that proves the quote came from them....if that makes any sense. just go in and be firm and slightly rude, especially to the GM. if they don't like it, walk out. it's their loss, not yours. also, they should be willing to make a sweet deal if you're wanting an 05, since most honda dealers are trying to make room for the new 06s. good luck!!!

Old 10-10-2005, 11:29 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: remington870_20ga
He calls me every other month to check in on me if I still want an s2000 . Ill eventually buy one from him lol.
I have one of those guys too. I wonder when he'll get the point that I just wanted to test drive it.

Got a call today that they have the 06 RSX-S's in so I'm off to test drive one of those tomorrow.