General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Fixing A/C

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:02 PM
HCF Member
Default Fixing A/C

My a/c doesn't work and I really would like to get it fixed before it starts getting hot again. My compressor is locked up and my lines are empty so I know the freon has leaked out. I took it to a guy last summer and he told me it would take $1200 to fix it but I feel like that is pretty high. I know i can put the compressor on and whatever else it needs but I wanted to know what else might I need to look at replacing and what to check for to do this myself. If anyone could help me I would appreciate it.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Fixing A/C

What model year? In some cases you can buy the whole system from Majestic for about $500, which is a heck of a deal compared to paying $400 for the compressor alone. When the compressor locks up that usually means it has put lots of metal debris into the system which will destroy the new compressor in short order unless you very thoroughly clean or replace all the other parts. At a minimum after compressor failure I'd replace the compressor, condenser, receiver-drier, and likely the expansion valve. You can use used parts for all of these except the receiver-drier if you're sure the system on the parts car is still good.

Also you need to be sure the leak was the compressor and not somewhere else.

And it really is not that unreasonable to pay a shop $1200 parts and labor for this, as long as the job is done right. A/C repairs can get expensive.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Finally another thought has the compressor itself locked up or just the pulley on it that spins even when it is not engaged? In the latter case you probably still need a whole new compressor still since the bearing burning up will melt the seal in the compressor (thus all refrigerant is gone), but you don't have a problem of debris from inside the compressor.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:56 PM
HCF Member

The compressor will not work unless there is refrigerant in the system, unless you charge it up you won't know wether it works or not. The compressor will burn if there is no refrigerant to cool it down so it doesnt start unless theres pressure in the system. `1200 dollars is way too much but first of you have to find the leak and seal it than charge it and see if it will hold charge. With a leak in the system its pointless to even charge it because it will leak out anyway but at least you will know if your compressor is working or not. The stuff that they use for the pipes cant be brazed or soldered either so i really don't know how you would fix the leak.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I'm guessing the belt is already off. You don't need to charge it to confirm that the compressor is indeed locked up. Does the pulley on the compressor spin freely? Can the flat plate with flat springs in front of the pulley turn (it won't spin freely but you should be able to turn it by hand). The plate is turning the internal mechanism of the compressor. The pulley just spins on an idler bearing until the compressor engages.