General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

foggy windows + sunlight = i can't see where I'm going

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:28 PM
HCF Member
Default foggy windows + sunlight = i can't see where I'm going

lately its getting a bit colder in the morning and my front window is fogged up. I just happen to drive directly into the sun for about a block then when iturn into the freeway my back is facing the sun so the problem is gone. but i cant see the road at all during this time and i have to stick my head out like a dog. how do i get rid of this?

Old 09-12-2007, 09:32 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: foggy windows + sunlight = i can't see where I'm going

u can start by cleaning your windows, and applying some Rain-X Antifog stuff, they work pretty good

Old 09-13-2007, 05:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Start of course by keeping the inside of the windshield clean. Now on damp mormings, turn the controls on defroster, temperature all the way hot, air on fresh, fan on high. Of course you already did all that but still it's fogged.

Now here's the trick: especially if you have a pre-1996 (I think) model Civic, engage the air conditioner. It will dry the air coming out of the defroster vents and clear the fog really quick. Later models do that automatically like American cars also do. This works in the spring and fall, in the dead of winter the A/C will not run but the air is so dry then you don't need to.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:21 AM
Administrator

throw the defroster on, maybe some sunglasses, make sure the windows are clean...i mean...come on

Old 09-13-2007, 06:25 AM
HCF Member

the problem is the defroster only works once i start driving... and when i drive i cant see.
or maybe im not sure what the defroster is...

Old 09-13-2007, 07:31 AM
Administrator

go outside a little early....start the car up...throw the defroster one

the defroster is the apparatus that defrosts the windows [sm=headbang.gif][sm=chairshot.gif][sm=icon_beat.gif]

Old 09-13-2007, 08:29 AM
HCF Member

Actually, I would recommend using Recirculation over Fresh Air. The outside air will most likely have a much higher humidity level than the interior air, making the system work even harder to 'dry' out the air - which would take longer. Which is another reason why I leave the windows all the way up, as well as the air control on Recirc when I park it for the night - less chance of the humidity going up inside the car. Trust me on this, I grew up in Utah (15% average humidity) and currently live in San Angelo, TX (30-45% average) - and I can feel every percentage point. This place still feels like a freaken Amazon jungle compared to SLC.

But yeah - turn the vent to 'Defrost' and hit the 'A/C' button. It'll work... it'll just take a few minutes.

More than likely, the reason why it might not seem to work until you start driving is because with the engine RPMs low, the A/C compressor doesn't work as well - it's barely adequate, in fact. Once the RPMs come up from driving, that's when you're noticing that it's working better.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:10 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: My04Civic

throw the defroster on, maybe some sunglasses, make sure the windows are clean...i mean...come on

well said. The problem isn't really that complicated. If you have your defroster on like everyone said, you won't have problem with your windows getting fogged up. Going to the car five minutes early and warming up the car will help solve your issue of your defroster taking time to warm up.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:03 AM
HCF Member

No, the problem really isn't all that complicated. In fact, a lot of people take this kind of stuff for granted, and that's fine. But rather than having to take steps outside of proper operation, first make sure proper operation is actually happening.

My wife experienced the exact same issues in her '01 Grand Prix. And things worked out a whole lot better when she figured out that the A/C button needed to be on when the windshield defroster was running. Who knew? (The people that wrote the Owner's Manual had a clue). Switching to 'Recirculation' also sped up the time it took to clear the windshield, because even cool-dried air clears fog away faster than warm-moist air.

Just like any other part of the car, slight adjustments to how things work can make them work better. And if it's something that can be done without costing more time or money - bonus.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:25 AM
HCF Member

My wife experienced the exact same issues in her '01 Grand Prix. And things worked out a whole lot better when she figured out that the A/C button needed to be on when the windshield defroster was running. Who knew?
Now that you mentioned. When my dad bought his 02 civic, we noticed that, when turning on the deforst, the A/C would automatically go. We were not sure, and had the old fashioned mindset, that only hot air works, to defog the windows. But saw that it works better when the A/C is on. I guess something that honda figured out and started to put on their new models?

So i agree with Type RB, try using the A/C and see how that works.

Quick Reply: foggy windows + sunlight = i can't see where I'm going