General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Fourth Gen Civic vs...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Default Fourth Gen Civic vs...

Maybe even asking this will get me in trouble but...

I want something that is safe, fun and economical to drive. Right now I have a 91 DX Hatchback with 160k miles that is fun and economical but it's not so great in the safety department (http://www.crashtest.com/honda/ie.htm). My wife thinks its a great idea to get a Fit but we're just starting out and don't really need to spend the extra dough--I still have to pay college loans. The Fit obviously is hands-down more safe with 5 airbags or whatever it has.
Do you think I can safely add an airbag to the 91 Hatch? What about adding extra bracing in the door? Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention the asthetics aren't so good either. It's got some rust around the wheels and the carpet would pretty much need to be replaced ($150). But welding(myself), painting(myself), a new carpet and an airbag would still be cheaper than a Fit. (If you can't tell, I'm a DIY guy)
As far as getting a newer civic, I don't really like the looks or height of the 5th generation so I'd pretty much be limited to a 97 or newer. On the other hand, I love having no power steering with the 91 so I'd lose that if I went newer--at least the fit has electric power steering so you don't damage it by turning at minimal speed...
Another issue is if we get the Fit, I don't think I can work on it--there's almost no space under the hood! Correct me if I'm wrong...
What do you think? Am I crazy? Are all of those mods to the 91 even possible? Does it make sense? Thanks...

Old 11-30-2006, 01:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Fourth Gen Civic vs...

my 92 cx(5th gen) didn't come with power steering or ac

Old 11-30-2006, 04:46 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: tonejunkie
Do you think I can safely add an airbag to the 91 Hatch?
No, I don’t think you can SAFELY do this. As far as I know, there are no airbags created specifically for that model, so you have to adapt one from the other model. Too much risk you can screw up something in the process, and either make it inoperative, or have it shooting into your face in the most unfortunate time…

On the other hand, I love having no power steering with the 91 so I'd lose that if I went newer--at least the fit has electric power steering so you don't damage it by turning at minimal speed...
Never heard about this problem. Could this be just another myth or just particular model specific bug?

Another issue is if we get the Fit, I don't think I can work on it--there's almost no space under the hood! Correct me if I'm wrong...
Yeah, I was thinking along those lines just yesterday, looking under the hood of my 03’ Si. Seemed like one has to disassemble the whole front of the car to be able to remove the alternator. Not that I need to replace it, I just was thinking how this would be possible to do something under the hood…

Old 12-01-2006, 11:38 AM

Riceburner,
Thanks, I didn't know there was a newer generation that would come without power steering. Do any of the next generation come without power steering?

Misha,
You're probably right about the air bags... lots of things could go wrong. My gut said no but I wanted to ask anyways..

The power steering thing isn't a *problem*, just a preference. My 91 DX never had power steering in the first place and I like it that way. The closest thing that I thought I could get would be the electric power steering with the Fit. I guess I could take out the power steering--do people ever do that? I may have to give up on the power-steering-less idea.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:59 AM
mxs
HCF Member

Look for a 96-00 CX hatch. you should be able to find a decent one for around $4K. Has airbags but no power steering, it's cheap, gets good gas mileage, looks pretty nice.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:08 PM
HCF Member

My 93 CX has power steering, it was an option available, all newer cars come factory with power steering. that or electronic assist settering which is pretty much the same thing.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:17 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Here are the specs on the 98 CX.
http://www.edmunds.com/used/1998/hon.../standard.html

Old 12-01-2006, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the website....

I'm leaning toward the civic still.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:28 AM

Hey thanks guys, you kept me from making a stupid mistake...
So I went to my buddies house and his friend was there who works on cars. We got talking about this and he managed to convince me otherwise on the 5th gen. It really is exactly what I want--it's the same as the 4th gen only with a more modern body and airbags. I even got over my aesthetic stupidity--I like it now.
Friday, we went out and got a Teal 93 hatch. She needs some lovin'--the turn signals don't work, it needs a head rest, one drivers seat bolts is loose, the locks stick and I need to clean up the paint (dents & rub marks. from "chrome trim") but she's going to be nice. I can feel that 30 hp gain over the old 91 dx. It's nice...
Thanks...