General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Fuel Mileage

Old 04-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Default RE: Fuel Mileage

Restet ur Trip Miles on ur Car then fill up the tank then keep driving untill E on gas then go back and Fill up the tank then Look at how many miles u guys drives let say 300 miles and u filled up 10 gallons it will be = 30mpg let do it the other way 368 miles = 12 gallons = 30.6 mpg ....

I own a 2004 Ford Mustang 5 speed it a 3.9 liter i got my best best was 31.4 mpg ... id say 60% on hwy 40% city ! aint bad for a mustang .... it all depend on how u shift it and drive it !

Old 04-07-2008, 06:46 PM
HCF Member

I'm enjoying a solid 34mpg in my '95 VX. I'm sure with a valve adjustment and new O2 sensor, I can probably see a slight improvement. The homemade CAI helped a bunch - it doesn't struggle up to cruising speed as much now.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:52 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Apostle

Seriously? I don't find your numbers credible. I find it very hard to believe you get 38 in the city and 42 at 70 mph? That's ludicrous. How do you check your numbers? miles/gallons plus 10? Does anyone else find this hard to believe? Do you have a coupe or sedan or what?
300mag was asked to post his logbook in another thread, but so far no response. I use some hypermiling techniques and I still don't get that mileage. I do keep a logbook and post it here occasionally.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:15 PM
HCF Member

What I usually do is... :

- Fill my tank to Full
- When its exactly half tank I check my odometer and see what it says
- Since i'm at a half tank, I gotta times my miles traveled and double it, so if I got 225 miles on half a tank, i'd get 450 miles on a full tank, then I take that and divide by 13.2 since thats my fuel capacity. Or usually I just divide by 13.

Thats what I do, because I don't like riding it all the way down to E, especially when gas prices fluctuate alot here and there, and usually I ALWAYS put about $10 bucks in at half tank, or fill up. It depends how thick my wallet is at the time lol.. But I usually get around 32~36 mpg rougly. About 70% is highway, and only 30% is city, since I drive 30 miles (there and back) to work. And only about 2~3 of those miles are city miles, and theres only about 4-5 stoplights between getting off the exit ramp, and going to my work. Another factor of the city driving is going to school, I hit about 5 stopsigns a day total driving from home to school, and vise versa.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:58 PM
HCF Member

vilex, your method is half accurate, but i guess it can work, but your also always keeping the car under full weight by keeping your tank always full

Old 04-07-2008, 08:37 PM
HCF Member

That method is a very poor indicator. It's based on the theory that your gas gauge reads very accurately. Which we all know, they don't. Especially because gas takes are not shaped like perfect squares. You should follow the method stated somewhere above. Where you just measure how much you gas it takes to put it back to full and then divide the miles traveled since you last filled up by the number of gallons you just put in. You get a good number that way, and you DON'T have to take it to empty. But the more you drain it, the more accurate your average will be.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:21 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Vilex

What I usually do is... :

- Fill my tank to Full
- When its exactly half tank I check my odometer and see what it says
- Since i'm at a half tank, I gotta times my miles traveled and double it, so if I got 225 miles on half a tank, i'd get 450 miles on a full tank, then I take that and divide by 13.2 since thats my fuel capacity. Or usually I just divide by 13.

Thats what I do, because I don't like riding it all the way down to E, especially when gas prices fluctuate alot here and there, and usually I ALWAYS put about $10 bucks in at half tank, or fill up. It depends how thick my wallet is at the time lol.. But I usually get around 32~36 mpg rougly. About 70% is highway, and only 30% is city, since I drive 30 miles (there and back) to work. And only about 2~3 of those miles are city miles, and theres only about 4-5 stoplights between getting off the exit ramp, and going to my work. Another factor of the city driving is going to school, I hit about 5 stopsigns a day total driving from home to school, and vise versa.
That is the stupidest crap I have ever heard. Are you sure your not 16, just got your drivers licences and know nothing about cars? Let me use your philosophy for a second. So I travel 150 miles to the first quarter of a tank of gas, so does that mean i am going to get 600 miles to a tank? NOOOO

Your tank is shaped at odd angles, and even more so there is actually fuel that you can't get to (1.2g). The top half of the tank is bigger, hence why you get more milage while you are full, and once you hit half, well lets just say it goes a little faster than your theory.

You want a better way to check it. Choose the same route, same GAS STATION, go a week. When you fill up, either fill it up tell it won't take a drop more of gas (IE FULL), or go tell it clicks and then just stop. Now you can't use the later at another gas station because of the pressure that they pump at. You need a solid baseline. Try this for a couple weeks. Squeezing in that extra couple pennies, not going to the first click, all these things have effects on your so called calculations of MPG.

And 300 if your getting 42mpg at 70mph in an auto then I would say I don't know......hybrid???? See me Dodge has this cool thing that does instant fuel economy and my 400+ dodge ram quad cab gets 99mpg all the time. Its called coasting behind a big rig......

Old 04-07-2008, 09:49 PM
HCF Member

Wow who got you mad? its not stupid, he said he doesnt like letting it ru all the way down. And two of us already told him about how he was wrong. No need to start insulting people

Old 04-07-2008, 10:02 PM
HCF Member

Its not who got me mad cyber, other than 300 posted in more than one forum he is getting 40+mpg on an auto......anyway, its the flawed thinking, the newb out look on how to judge your milage, and yes it is a very stupid way to look at mpg, that is unless you have a fuel cell that is perfectly square.
I didn't mean it as an insult, but I felt that it needed to be put in more stronger manner as this isn't the first posting that I have seen him claim his numbers. Lets see a logbook, maybe I can retrace my statement. Who knows maybe he found a way to use flexfuel, better yet filtered out Mcdonlads greese.....

Old 04-07-2008, 10:07 PM
HCF Member

Oh i agree with you about that 300 guy. I dont know how he did his calculations, but they are definitively wrong

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage