General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

An FYI for those considering platinum plugs

Old 09-15-2008, 08:50 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Forty04
I would not run Iridium or Platinum in my honda (if I had one)

I always ran the standard NGK's on N/A, and one step colder on my boosted setup. FYI, I think NGK 1 step colders are only like $3 max. Not bad at all compared to the $12 per plug I'll have to cough up for my WRX.
right, I misunderstood when you wrote:"the best thing you can run in a Civic is NGKs (non-platinum/iridium)" you meant non-platinum and non-iridium, but when I first looked at it, I thought you meant non-platinum and iridium.....sounds confusing but I think you know what Im getting at

$3 a plug is cheap for the colder ones, I thought they were like $10-12 a piece

Old 09-15-2008, 09:02 AM
Snail'n Admin

Haha i know 1 steps are needed for F/I, point being, go F/I

Old 09-15-2008, 04:14 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by babyivan
Those are mucho dinero!..... besides I believe you only need colder plugs for turbo or nitrous

you are 100% right.....
As I stated in my original post, it could be a coincidence for sure.

But, why chance it?
I say go with the NGK V power plugs that Honda recommends.
There is NO performance and MPG difference between the non-platinum tipped plugs vs. the platinum tipped plugs. The only benefit is the plug life of the platinums, and on our cars it's no big deal changing plugs.... takes about 5 minutes total. When I had my V6 Solara, platinums were recommended due to the fact that getting to the rear plugs were a major pain in the A-S-S!!

you think iridiums are ok?..... I was wondering about that.
I had put them in my Solara at one time(I didnt feel a difference in power though over the OEMs)
Sorry I didn't mean to sound like an *** when i wrote this, but I just had to throw it out there . To be honest I hope you're wrong since I'm running Bosch Platinum +4 right now. That will probably be the last time I ever buy those since they were ridiculiously priced.

On a side note about spark plugs have anyone tried those Pulstars?

Last edited by xsteinbachx; 09-15-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:13 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by xsteinbachx
Sorry I didn't mean to sound like an *** when i wrote this, but I just had to throw it out there . To be honest I hope you're wrong since I'm running Bosch Platinum +4 right now. That will probably be the last time I ever buy those since they were ridiculiously priced.

On a side note about spark plugs have anyone tried those Pulstars?
no problem at all....I kinda figured you were running platinums by your comment

I should warn you that I heard lots of bad things about using anything Bosch on a Honda.....especially the platinum +4s!

The Pulstars go for $24.95 a pop....WTF!!

Old 09-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Babyivan, I think it's more likely that coil and ICM blew due to a failure of a plug wire, the cap, or the rotor. It's even possible that one plug wire was not fully engaged with the distributor cap or spark plug when the plugs were changed. This would cause an enormous build up of voltage that could blow the distributor.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:53 PM
HCF Member

I would not run Iridium or Platinum in my honda (if I had one)
I've always wondered, how do you get to be a civic forum administrator when you drive a rex lol (great car by the way)? Did you have a civic/honda and get the wrx instead?

Old 09-16-2008, 12:57 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
Babyivan, I think it's more likely that coil and ICM blew due to a failure of a plug wire, the cap, or the rotor. It's even possible that one plug wire was not fully engaged with the distributor cap or spark plug when the plugs were changed. This would cause an enormous build up of voltage that could blow the distributor.
Anything is possible, but the wires, cap and rotor were all brand new, and I personally made sure everything was nice and tight before I turned her over.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:30 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by babyivan
no problem at all....I kinda figured you were running platinums by your comment

I should warn you that I heard lots of bad things about using anything Bosch on a Honda.....especially the platinum +4s!

The Pulstars go for $24.95 a pop....WTF!!
What have they said about the Bosch +4 being so bad? I also to be honest wanted to try those pulstars just to see if they really do do something if you check out there site they actually tested them on a corvette on the show Horsepower, and they did get some gains from just the pulstars.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:12 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

I have first hand experience with Bosch stuff, and the rumors are true, they just do not work well with Honda motors. I had more misfires than I knew what to do with on my bosch plugs. Slapped NGK's back in, and was good to go.

Originally Posted by C-lo
I've always wondered, how do you get to be a civic forum administrator when you drive a rex lol (great car by the way)? Did you have a civic/honda and get the wrx instead?

Thanks man, I love this car.

Here are a couple pics of my ol' baby, which led me to this forum.

Name:  ParkingStructureFrontPassengerCropp.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  25.0 KB

Name:  EngineBayTopAngle.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  75.5 KB

/threadjack

Old 09-17-2008, 07:34 AM
HCF Member

Dam you guys have gotten me worried. I guess I might have to buy some new plugs this pay day. Anyone want some 3 week old Bosch +4 Platinum plugs?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: An FYI for those considering platinum plugs