General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Gas Milage Improvements!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Default RE: Gas Milage Improvements!

well i have a 94 and my last biggest trip i got about 225 miles on half a tank all ive done to the car is high flow cat ceramic headers and k&n filter right up to the intake no tube or anything. but i gutted my trunk and i have a subwoofer back there now...

Old 03-30-2008, 08:16 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 1slowcivic

Ok you guys still are not getting the point I was trying to get across on this thread. What modifications can be done to the engine to increase MPG.
Weight modifications, putting it in neutral, or drive, or using the break vs not using the break, tune-ups those are all simple things. A lot of people are wanting to do the performance things like engine swaps, turbo's, I/H/E, and I wanted to see about the other side. What could be done to a civic engine to make it get better gas milage.
Changing the PW on the injectors? Is it possible to change the map for the MAF to run leaner with out risking pre-det or burning a hole in the piston. What about the idea of the ECU from an HX? There is a crazy amount of knowledge on this forum I was wondering if anyone out there knew more about actually changing the tune of the engine to get more MPG. If the HX gets 45mpg, how does it do it, besides the weight issue.
Sorry, but I think you are missing the point. The Honda IS an economy car already. There is nothing you are going to do to the engine to get any better mileage. I assume you want to get better mileage (note spelling) so that you save money. Figure out how much gas your CF parts will buy. There is no way you will save that much money in gas during the life of the car. As for removing the spare from the trunk, how much do you think it will cost the first time you have to call a service truck to bring you out a tire? Unless you see a logfile that covers an extended period of time, do not believe mileage quotes. One tank (or two) does not an average make.

As stated previously here and on other mileage (note spelling) threads thebest way to save gas is with your right foot. Driving like a granny is not the way to get the best mileage. Planning ahead is.

If you are not happy with the mileage that you are getting from your Honda, buy another car. There are several hybrids (including the Civic) and a few diesels that will get better mileage.

If you put on narrower tires, pump up the pressure and drive very carefully to avoid spinning out, you can probably get somewhat better mileage. Even then the use of your right foot will be the determining factor.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:07 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1

/Agree

...although ITHINK the cost of buying a carJUST MIGHT outweigh thegas savings, at least for four or five years.

My experience:
I tow around my subs all day long, mostly highway, using cruise control at 65 and I consistently get 41-42mpg. My mild efforts at hypermiling have only yielded 43.5 mpg, which wason one tank that was all highway and I averaged 52 mph (but I never shut off the engine or drafted dangerously).

For myself I found that the biggest bump in mpg came when I bought a scangauge. Being able to see realtime mileagemakes you think twice when you hit the pedal hard.

Also my theory right now is that it's better to accelerate on a decline rather than simply coasting because you will gain more speed using less gas. Then you give up that extra speed slowly on inclines so you can avoid accelerating.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:13 AM
Recognized HCF Member

hahhaha that milage thing is cool as hell!!!! you can see it start off high when cruising then slam the gas and watch that sucker GO DOWN FAST>LOL

Old 03-31-2008, 01:44 PM
HCF Member

I'm very lucky buying a 1999 Civic HX MT because these are so rare! The HX engine was designed to operate in lean burn mode below VTEC activation. I'd say the 2001 to 2005 MT HX's are best, as they are 5 star crash rated and have cruise control. But the 96 to 00 ones are easier to maintain.

I just did a Synthetic Oil change and changed my PCV Valve. Drove 2 days City, 6 days hwy, 2 days with a bike attached to my rear bike rack, 4 days with the rear bike rack on, 1 hwy day speeding at 70 mph [I usually do 65], wasting gas searching for a parking spot in a crowded mall at it's Grand Opening. 10 gal fillup got 43.098 mpg - my best long tank fillup!I usually got 41 to 42.5 mpg weekly fills here in Houston, Texas.

There's lots of hypermiling advice on Cleanmpg.com and Gassavers.org