General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Gas Mileage Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 04:51 AM
Default Gas Mileage Problems

Alright..first off my civic is super old... 179,000 miles on it

1997 Honda Civic Ex Vtec with manual << Im putting in Sam's Regular Gas.
Injen Intake

Problems:

1) I recently got this car, but im not even getting 300 miles to the tank. I suspect it is probably the intake filter, which kinda looks dirty. Im not much of a car guru, but will my air filter cause my gas mileage to sink down to 25mpg, honestly not even that probably 280 ish to the redline on fuel gauge. I drive in the city, basically zero highway driving, and there are probably atleast 6-9 stoplights that i have to stop at. At first i thought it was just me reving the engine high, because i used to rev the engine off the light, because i was new at driving a stick. Ive had about 2 weeks of experience, and I really do not know whats wrong. I recently changed the spark plugs and put in a fuel injection cleaner as well. Hopefully a more experienced or similar civic driver can tell me what is wrong.

2) Also my clutch, is acting wierd, when i shift up from 1st to 2nd, there is jerk in car, but im easing out so slowly...and if the clutch is hitting super late...i only do it sometimes, but i probably suspect it is my driving, and this can be overcome with some practicing.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:30 AM
gwl
HCF Member
Default RE: Gas Mileage Problems

Since this car is new to you, you may want to do a tune up. Also, make sure your clutch is not slipping because that will sap your gas mileage. I have a 97 Civic with 245000 miles that still gets 37 to 40 miles per gallon. I never had the valves adjusted, I just make sure I changed the oil/filter and check the air filter. And with tune ups, when my mileage starts to go down I throw in a new set of plugs.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:31 AM

it could be all that stop and go traffic you have!!! or could just need a tune-up, my 88' crx doesnt get as much as it should either, but i think it is how i drive most of all, plus it needs a tune up bad.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:18 PM

Just out of curiosity? Should i got do the tune up at a Honda Dealer, and what exactly is covered under a "tuneup". I just want to get four more years out of my baby!

Old 05-05-2006, 09:07 PM
gwl
HCF Member

I would change the air filter. Check your plug wires, if they look a little ratty, they should be replace. After getting comfortable shifting around town, I think your mileage will increase to at least into the high 20's to the low 30's.

About tuneups, your owner's manual will have all the info.