General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Gas Mileage Revision

Old 11-01-2007, 08:28 AM
Default Gas Mileage Revision

A lot of people seem to have been complaining about mileage estimates for vehicles not holding true once they get on the road. And as a result, they've revamped the measurement system to supposedly, "more accurately" reflect real-world mileage. But my car, which was measured on the old system, was rated for 32 mpg city and 38 highway (avg 35). Now when I pedal to the metal I have been known to get 30 mpg, but guess what happens when I drive efficiently!? I get 35/36 mpg! (as a side note I've even achieved 42 mpg when driving for 8 hours on the freeway with cruise control at 60mph)

Now I can't speak to the accuracy of the estimates for other vehicles, but I feel like overall the old system of mileage measuring accurately portrayed what is possible for the vehicle to achieve and did not need revision. I think if people are going to drive faster and not the most efficiently they should expect that their actual mileage will come in lower than the estimate.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Default RE: Gas Mileage Revision

From what I understand, the revision came about because the hybrid car makerswere boasting higher fuel mileage than what most 'average' drivers were getting. I don't remember where I saw the article on that, but the new system does not affect most gasoline vehicles as much as it affects hybrid vehicles 'true' MPG readings.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well with milage you can always boost your numbers preaty easily.... just a few things to do.....
dont mash the gas when taking off.... and dont keep on the gas till ya have to slam on the brakes to stop... coasting can give ya alot beter milage!

another thing is speeding on the highway and also find a semi truck going a good speed and stay behind him.... THO KEEP IT SAFE! dont tailgate!!!!!!

its been proven on mythbusters to boost milage around 10-15% beter i believe... i cannt remember exactly but if ya search im sure you could find the exact numbers on the web...

my 99civic has gotten BETER than stick highway milage on a road trip.... and then WORSE when im pedal to the floor but thats very common...

Old 11-01-2007, 07:33 PM

Hell I normally get about 380 to the tank tonight I got 225 miles. such huge differances in mileage just from giving the car a hard time. This tank I'm going to take very easy to see what i can get.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:09 PM
HCF Member

Well i dont know about you guys but i drove my dads 5.6 liter v8 titan(Obiously) and that thingyou get the rpms up to 3 grand and you can see the gas needle being sucked down like a industrial vacume(Figureativly) anyways point being i drove it from my house to pacomia(10-11 miles) to sun valley from pacomia(7-8 miles) back to my house for a total of 20 miles and i didnt get rpms passed 1.5 grand and i was near empty with light on and made it back to my house parked truck took it back to pacomia and back to my house another 20 miles, i guess it all depends on RPM's,Tires. I have a buddy with a 2007 Civic EX with nav and all that fancy **** he had rims on it and his mpg went down 10-20 mpg threw stock rims back on it and now hes getting 230-300 miles per tank. with rims he was getting 220-250. i dunno if any of this was relevant to topic but if it was about gas saving [8D]

Old 11-01-2007, 09:07 PM

[align=left]
ORIGINAL: gacyota
[/align]
From what I understand, the revision came about because the hybrid car makerswere boasting higher fuel mileage than what most 'average' drivers were getting. I don't remember where I saw the article on that, but the new system does not affect most gasoline vehicles as much as it affects hybrid vehicles 'true' MPG readings.
/

Well, if they did it to help kill the hybrid mileage hype then I might be ok with it.

...and coasting/drafting are my best friends!