General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

General Question from a new guy.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Default General Question from a new guy.

Hey everyone, my first post. Couple of quick questions.

1. What are some good forums other then this one for good information from Honda Gear heads?

2. I drive a GTi now, 2008 MkV. I enjoy it, but it's hard to work on them, and seeing as how its a new car, I don't feel like wrecking the DD.
I wan't to get a Honda I can work on. Something with a good solid body that I can drop an engine in, gut out, and get some good power out of. I always hear how Honda's can have a b15c (Im assuming an engine type) with a turbo run 12's all day.

I'd like to start working on a Civic, but what year and engine is the best combo for them? I know this question has been posted before, but when I searched, it never popped for me. I could have typed in the wrong info.

I have worked on Chevys, VW's, and my Dodge SRT-4, but I think its time for some japanese fun.

Thanks in advance fellas.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:52 AM
HCF Member

1. What are some good forums other then this one for good information from Honda Gear heads?
I have found honda-tech.com to be pretty helpful, there is also clubcivic.com altho I havent explored it that well

2. I drive a GTi now, 2008 MkV. I enjoy it, but it's hard to work on them, and seeing as how its a new car, I don't feel like wrecking the DD.
I wan't to get a Honda I can work on. Something with a good solid body that I can drop an engine in, gut out, and get some good power out of. I always hear how Honda's can have a b15c (Im assuming an engine type) with a turbo run 12's all day.
Yes civics are easy to work on and can be made quite powerful with swaps and forced induction. I have seen a civic making 800 to the wheels and running high 9's on racing slicks (technically the car was street legal as well but I would have no desire to drive that thing as a DD ). I dunno about a b15c, probly meant a b18c, and yes that is an engine (the b18's are integra engines)

I personally like the 5th gens (1992-1995) and 6th gens (1996-2000) best and they would also be easiest to work on and have the most aftermarket support. As for best engine combo there isnt one really, its all about what you want; you can boost the stock engine with turbo, do a B-series, H-series, or K-series swap (different engine codes), the options are limitless really only restricted by the time and money you have to invest

Old 09-04-2008, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the quick reply!!

I make very good money, working on the IT support team for University of MD Medical Center, so I can do an engine swap and some Forced Induction with very little trouble. The only problem is finding a junked civic.

So if I wanted to push, say 4-10 PSI on stock internals, what kind of engine should I be looking for?

Old 09-04-2008, 11:10 AM

I was doing some research, and I am looking for a 92-95 Civic hatch. What would be the best model if I am going for an engine swap?

Old 09-04-2008, 11:10 AM
HCF Member

These questions have all been answered before, but cuz im feelin nice lol...

A psi goal is irrelevant, its power that matters. On D16's (engines found 6th gen civics, come in variants like D16Y7, D16Y5, etc.) I know you can push 200hp on stock internals and shouldnt run the risk of messin them up, all the b-series you would be able to run at least 200hp as well. 200hp is really all you need in a civic to make it plenty quick and fun, especially the older ones cuz they are real light. If money isnt an issue you can always build the internals for added performance/reliability.

Search the forum and you will find more than enough about boosting and/or swapping all types of honda engines

and just curious, why do you want a junked civic? you can find running ones for not too much, or you can buy a shell and engine separate and put it together

Last edited by C-lo; 09-04-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:21 AM
HCF Member

I was doing some research, and I am looking for a 92-95 Civic hatch. What would be the best model if I am going for an engine swap?
By model do you mean trim (DX, Si, etc.)? And either way it doesn't matter, if you are buying it only to swap engines then they are all basically equivalent since you dont care about what engine is currently in the car. Just get the cheapest good condition one if you know you are just gonna swap. Civics are great swap cars and with some knowledge and work you can do anything, there have even been corvette engines put in civics (search Civette on youtube or google)

Old 09-04-2008, 11:22 AM

Where can I find a shell at? that's exactly what I want. A shell that I can build all on my own. I have always just wanted to build something all my own, and so I figure now with the raise I am getting it's time to build a civic. It's always been my dream.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:28 AM
HCF Member

Well I dunno about a complete shell (nothing but the frame basically) but you might be able to find a car with a busted engine but everything else intact just by searching your local area. That is a respectable goal, to build a car up from a shell, wish you luck and hope you'll post your successes and troubles along the way. Junk yards may be a good place to look too if you really want just a body, find one without structural damage, gut everything out and piece it together with parts of your choosing

Old 09-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Turbo_laG
Where can I find a shell at?
Have you looked on Craigslist in your area?

Last edited by RonJ; 09-04-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:32 AM

Not yet but I am about to start!! Thanks fellas for all your help. I'l be a regular here as soon as I get my project up and running :-D

+1 for member of the year = C-lo

Quick Reply: General Question from a new guy.