General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

get me up to date.. new civic owner

Old 08-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Default get me up to date.. new civic owner

hey guys.. bought my wife a 2000 honda civic ex auto tranny yesterday 161,000 all stock and extremly well maintained... it will be used primarly as a commuter car.. what cheap mods would be suitable for a daily driver.. meaning what can i do to upgrade to increase the reliability and efficiency of the car motor or tranny?or is it better to leave it alone? whats the correct term for the motor i have ? i see alot d16 d18..etc.. flying around.. this is our second honda... the first was a 86 honda prelude that has long since been gone... get me up to date

Old 08-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Default RE: get me up to date.. new civic owner

m

Old 08-20-2007, 09:57 AM
HCF Member

m?? lol I believe that you have a d16y8 engine... here is a link if you want to see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_D_engine#D16Y8 hope that helps

Old 08-20-2007, 11:38 AM
HCF Member

only mod i have to my stock ex is an aem short ram intake ive seen about a 2mpg increase when driven conservativly, and also rpms dropped on the highway by about 200-300.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:40 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: liquidrider_3214

only mod i have to my stock ex is an aem short ram intake ive seen about a 2mpg increase when driven conservativly, and also rpms dropped on the highway by about 200-300.
How would an intake drop your RPMs?

Old 08-20-2007, 05:58 PM
HCF Member

I was thinking the same question, but did not want ot sound like a newb and ask it, but I'm glad you did... even if it is an auto, the force on the torque converter at a given speed would still be the same... so your engine would have to maintain a certain RPM to reach that speed, regarless of how much power the engine had... so yeah how did it lower your RPM?

Old 08-21-2007, 10:40 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Basil

I was thinking the same question, but did not want ot sound like a newb and ask it, but I'm glad you did... even if it is an auto, the force on the torque converter at a given speed would still be the same... so your engine would have to maintain a certain RPM to reach that speed, regarless of how much power the engine had... so yeah how did it lower your RPM?

good question, i want to know the answer this question too

Old 08-22-2007, 09:47 AM
HCF Member

maybe its all in my head than, but it deffinetly seemed that the engine was running at lower rpms while traveling the same speed, what i meant was if im on the highway going 65 and my rpms were at 3200 they now seemed to be at 3000 while going the same speed. probably all in my head if so sorry for giving the giving info

Old 08-22-2007, 10:06 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: liquidrider_3214

maybe its all in my head than, but it deffinetly seemed that the engine was running at lower rpms while traveling the same speed, what i meant was if im on the highway going 65 and my rpms were at 3200 they now seemed to be at 3000 while going the same speed. probably all in my head if so sorry for giving the giving info
absolutely not true for sure. the final gear ration (including the wheels) does not change by adding an intake. The only way to change the rpm's at a certain speed is to change the wheels, or your gear ratios.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:18 AM
HCF Member

intakes/mufflers are mostly in your head but for your daily driver, atleast a K&N drop in filter, if not a K&N or AEM intake (or just an ebay intake with a nice AEM/K&N filter). A catback adds some power, but for daily driving can get annoying on long drives.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: get me up to date.. new civic owner