General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Getting my first Honda Civic in a couple days :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Default Getting my first Honda Civic in a couple days :)

Hello everyone!

I'm getting my first Civic on Tuesday, it's a 2008 EX, and I'm extremely excited... I've never known much about cars but I've always loved Civics for some reason, and after blowing up my last car, I'm determined to keep this one running wonderful and smoothly. Unfortunately, my 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt had an untimely death because I was bad about changing fluids, namely the oil... but I HAVE learned my lesson!

I'm not big on the color of the car, but it doesn't really bother me, and I figure if I ever can save up some extra cash, I'll save up a couple grand and get it repainted if that's what I really want.

Any of you Honda enthusiasts have any tips for how you maintain your cars and keep them running nicely and the interiors as clean as possible? Or any tips for a first time Honda owner? I learned the change the oil part, I don't need a lesson on fluids. But anything else is appreciated.

I'm browsing the forums and determined to learn about my car... I don't want to be the dumb girl who knows nothing about my car anymore. In fact, if I can save the money, I want to actually get it painted a hot color and do some work on the system. Anything I can do DIY would be awesome too. I figure I just need to devote some time to learning.

Anyway... hi, I'm also new here, nice to meet you! I had an introduction thread but since this is my first post outside of the newbie forum, figured I'd still devote a sentence or two to introducing myself here too.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:16 PM

I'm a new Honda owner myself, bought a 98 Civic LX last month.

Sounds like you need to find a good ASE certified tech you can trust. I also have learned that its alot better to take care of the $200-$400 things before they become $800-$1200 things.

My Honda has 148k miles on it but I'm an ol mechanic, been wrenching my own cars for years. I also bought a manual and have a good friend that is an ASE master tech on speed dial. I think we can keep it going for a long time.

Todd

Old 02-27-2012, 12:42 PM
HCF Member

@stereohearts

keep an eye on your temp gauge. random issues with block cracking causing overheating. Wasn't a recall, but definitely a TSB on it.

other than that, have fun with your new car

Old 03-07-2012, 10:19 PM

Just change the oil and dont hot rod it.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:37 AM

Take care about sound and oil etc and all the best.