General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

glare on front window from dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Default RE: glare on front window from dash

the interior is black and it's a 2003 that has never been garaged. when i bought it i noticed it within the first few days, i just thought i would keep it dull (never shine it up) but that hasn't worked, and the sun drying it out naturally hasn't worked.

my old acura and accord were black dashes as well, but they were a nice matte finish, so they absorbed the sunlight and did not bounce it off.

i still think a nice matte vinyl cover or something that could stick on just that bubble part would work, if only i knew where to go, what material to use etc... i'm sure i could make something.. i just dont know enough about modding my car or anything.

Old 10-04-2005, 10:45 AM
HCF Member

Go to a fabric store and find some matching suede material. Using your dash mat as a template cut sew curse and sew some more. After a hot day in the sun it should all settle down and look....well I don't know how it'll look. Take a pic and let us know.

Old 10-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: silvertam

sunglasses do not work.. please read previous post about high contrast glare.
I read it, and i garauntee Oakley's (or any other type of lens that is made to block GLARE and not light) will work.

Old 10-04-2005, 12:27 PM

dogmeat -

great idea about the suede material! i love it! it should absorb the sunlight too! also, come to think of it, velvet (though it wouldn't look as good as suede) would work as well, i know in movies they would use black velvet before blue screens came along.

but the suede would be great .. i really only need something for the top of the bubbly shape (above the gears) not the entire dash. i didn't want to permantely glue something down though, incase it didn't work out. but maybe i can try some double sided tape for a day or so, until i decide if it's right (and give it time to mold to shape in the heat).

i was really hoping that this was a problem honda had address and/or some company had created custom dash covers to match.

i thought there were dash covers you could buy to match your gauges.. like chrome or etched metal etc. or am i thinking of just vinyl vent sticker type things to match the vents with the trim on the car?

Old 10-05-2005, 11:23 AM
HCF Member

check out j c whitney they have a whole bunch of dash covers

[IMG]local://upfiles/2769/A0500C0510CA4684AA977F169D75E81E.gif[/IMG]

Old 10-05-2005, 01:31 PM

excellent! a little more expensive then what i was thinking, but that is just what i was looking for! jcwhitney.com honda civic dash covers

thanks again! now i know i have some options.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:44 PM

silvertam,

[sm=welcomesign.gif] to HCF. [sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 10-05-2005, 04:24 PM
HCF Member

dont use armorall........that causes the problem. The dash is too shiney (damnit forty)...........take it off with rubbin alch.........should help a little.

Old 10-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: pcupo12

dont use armorall........that causes the problem. The dash is too shiney (damnit forty)...........take it off with rubbin alch.........should help a little.
WTF did i do?!

Old 10-06-2005, 08:30 AM

ORIGINAL: pcupo12
dont use armorall........that causes the problem. The dash is too shiney (damnit forty
Another case of not reading people's posts.

BTW petey, Street Sniper suggested armour all, not Forty.

Quick Reply: glare on front window from dash