General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

The good ol b16 vs b18

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Default The good ol b16 vs b18

ok so not trying to be a noob or anything but this is my first b series swap. but my type r fell through its a a sad day, but no matter what i still want a b series, so i someone needs to help me make my mind up without rushing me and being a dick about it,

but i can get a b16 complete swap and all the little things i need to complete it for roughly 2200, but then again i can get a b18c1 for roughly 3700, so is the 1500 worth it or not, in theory yeah, but my overall budget is 4000,

my thinking was take the 1500 and drop it in the motor somewhere but instead of wasting it i was looking for some advice on where to put it, considering the b16 pushes 160hp, and the gsr 180, it cant be that hard to grab 20hp for 1500.

just some facts, i have a 90 si, and TURBO, will DOWN THE ROAD. i will have it but not just yet i want to enjoy the motor, but it will become my daily grind until i get my coupe back on her feet.

so just throw me some ideas, ls/vtec's look ok, but not sure if its worth it. im open to anything, all my friends are scared to leave the gay d series, so like i said just need some reassuring and some honest help. thanks again guys

let me know

Old 12-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Chubby Chaser

a ls vtec is a nice setup, i had a built b16 in my teg and it had GREAT top end, but i just wished it had a little more botom end, my plans were to get a ls block and put my head on it, 3700 is alot of money, we have somebody here on our 4sale thread that has a built B series motor, you could have it all for $2200 he knows his stuff and builds motor for a living.

here's his link.
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=79984

Old 12-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Snail'n Admin

haha im all for a built n boosted d. 325whp is plenty in a fwd car. anyway, no competition on the gsr vs b16. gsr all the way. has more bottom end, better tranny, responds better to boost, bigger numbers. a b16 truly does feel like a dseries until vtec. but anyway, ls/vtec is pretty unreliable to be honest. id rather just get a gsr motor

Old 12-22-2009, 08:31 PM
HCF Member

As a previous owner of a B16 < 99Si >, I say GSR. lmfao.
The B16 is nice, don't get me wrong. But it just feels under powered at times.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:38 PM
HCF Member

gsr baby, all the way. come on now mann..wikipedia the performance on each engine.
www.wikipedia.com

Old 12-23-2009, 02:22 AM

Well obviously the gsr better win, but what I was getting at was instead of throwing the full 4 grand at it, couldn't you pick the 16 and dump 2 grand or so in it and kill the gsr. Let me know

Old 12-23-2009, 11:22 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by GReddy_Civic
gsr all the way. has more bottom end, better tranny, responds better to boost, bigger numbers. a b16 truly does feel like a dseries until vtec. but anyway, ls/vtec is pretty unreliable to be honest. id rather just get a gsr motor

Hows does this sound..? even if you boosted the b16, the gsr responds better.
(and i'm going along the lines of GReddy_Civic, not from personal experience)

Old 12-23-2009, 02:23 PM
HCF Member

I don't know where you are getting the cost for your motors, sir. I can get you the B18C1 for $2899, with everything you need, apart from tranny. You can get that added for $350, and It will be the LSD. =) That price is before shipping of course. Are you going to be doing the swap yourself, or having a shop do it?

Old 12-25-2009, 11:37 AM

hey thanks for all the feedback, and not ragging my ****, but yeah punisher ill be doing the swap myself, well depends if i feel like it that day hahahahahahaha. yeah im buying my **** off of bestofjdm.com and 2200 is everything under the sun, except being installed. axles, shift linkage, vtec sub harness, and mounts, all from innovative. thats for the b16a, running obd0

now the gsr i can get everything for like 3600 to 3800, that includes mounts from innovative with that acuator, that converts the cable to hydro, shift linkage, obdo to obd1 conversion harness, and axles, i think the only thing on both of the swaps that i will have to buy seperate is the "t" mount, and im sure that comes of a 93 integra, correct me if im wrong.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:41 AM

but if you can help me out on purchasing the swap or letting me know where to get it too or however we go about it, that would be nice as well, just let me know and thanks again, im still stuck on what i want, i know dam well the b18 will bust the **** out the b16, but something tell me you can throw basic bolt on to the b16 and out preform your factory b18. but ill be researching like always, and ls/vtech is out the question, i guess it all boils down to a goal, and for me my goal is to be sitting somewhere near 400 hp. maybe not all to the wheels, but im sick of getting tore up by mini vans if you know what im saying hahahahahah

Quick Reply: The good ol b16 vs b18