General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Got any tips or tricks for long distance driving with a newborn?

Old 12-01-2010, 04:10 AM
Default Got any tips or tricks for long distance driving with a newborn?

My husband and I are going to be traveling with our 2 sons (18 months and 3 week old) from Illinois to Maine by car. I wanted to know if there are any tips/tricks to traveling that long with a newborn, whether or not I should sit in the back with them, etc. I know there are going to be frequent stops for diaper changes and feeding. We also know its going to take 3 or 4 days or so to get there. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-01-2010, 06:11 PM
HCF Member

I got 3 toddlers of my own(2,4 and 5). I wouldn't say sit in the back with them..BUT bring a DVD player..a small portable one for the 18 month old..not too expensive ..Not sure what kinda car you got but set it up high enough between both front seats(driver & passenger side seats) OR set it up in the backseats in the feet area..You're gonna need some books probably so it can be high enough for them to see. DVD player might slide off at some turns but throw some suitcases/bags in the backseat feet area & you'll be ok.
Bring some fluffy toys for the 3 week old..not sure if they start chewing yet at that age but if he/she is bring a couple of chew toys. Make sure you got a small cooler with one of those "stay cold packs" for formula/milk/juice.
Also don't travel too long at night...get a hotel in the evening..My family had to travel from Texas to Florida with me & my wife taking turns driving(21 hour drive)..with NO REST..it was HELL!!! I will never do that again!

*Thinking*.....Hmmm..on 2nd thought..since the 3 week old can't hold the bottle..maybe you should sit in the back & have the DVD player on the side where the 18 month old is at. Might be a tight squeeze since you're gonna be between 2 babyseats.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:39 PM
HCF Member

Only real driving tip I have is to give more distance between you and the car in front of you. Hitting the brakes suddenly and hard with a 3week old in the car is not a good thing at all.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Chubby Chaser

i travel alot, im always driving to florida and once in awhile to new york, i have 2 children
they are currently 4 and 8, but ive been traveling with them since they were born, the best way to travel with young children is at night so they will sleep all night while you drive. But BE CAREFUL driving all night if you begin to feel real sleepy dont risk it pull over and get a room. when i travel to florida ill leave around 6pm it takes 12-14 hrs to get to south florida, ill drive til around 8-9 and stop get dinner, potty break, fill up on gas, make sure they are comfortable then while they sleep i drive all night and stop to use the restroom and to fill up on gas, then arrive to my destination around 6-8 am
once arrived my wife will take care of the children while ill rest for a few hours.
another few tips is be careful driving at night or early mornings on the weekends, there are STUPID DRUNK DRIVERS, ive lost my mom to a drunk driver 8yrs ago, and just last year i was hit in the rear by a drunk driver coming home from florida by a drunk driver. its not your driving you gotta watch out for its everyone elses. if you get any wierd feelings, or if its raining hard or snow, any type of unsafe driving conditions, dont risk it with your children, pull over and get a room or just take a break for a while, dont try to rush to your destination.

edit: the newborn should also have a baby neck pillow, if you dont already have one. and dont forget to check the babies diapers often, because they will get a bad rash.

damn wrote a book lol

Last edited by 94civichatchback; 12-01-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mecca8383
I got 3 toddlers of my own(2,4 and 5). I wouldn't say sit in the back with them..BUT bring a DVD player..a small portable one for the 18 month old..not too expensive ..Not sure what kinda car you got but set it up high enough between both front seats(driver & passenger side seats) OR set it up in the backseats in the feet area..You're gonna need some books probably so it can be high enough for them to see. DVD player might slide off at some turns but throw some suitcases/bags in the backseat feet area & you'll be ok.
Bring some fluffy toys for the 3 week old..not sure if they start chewing yet at that age but if he/she is bring a couple of chew toys. Make sure you got a small cooler with one of those "stay cold packs" for formula/milk/juice.
Also don't travel too long at night...get a hotel in the evening..My family had to travel from Texas to Florida with me & my wife taking turns driving(21 hour drive)..with NO REST..it was HELL!!! I will never do that again!

*Thinking*.....Hmmm..on 2nd thought..since the 3 week old can't hold the bottle..maybe you should sit in the back & have the DVD player on the side where the 18 month old is at. Might be a tight squeeze since you're gonna be between 2 babyseats.
just get one of those DVD players that straps to the seat headrest in front of it