General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Got hit by an 18 wheeler.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 07:38 PM
Default Got hit by an 18 wheeler.

A few days ago my 01 civic was skidded by an 18 wheeler on the freeway and spun me off the freeway and onto the service road and into the mud. I didn't bother taking pictures, I was just soaking in the fact that I was alive. I also just wanted to get my car out of the way before someone runs into it. The truck took off, hopefully someone got his plate number and reported him.

Surprisingly my car is still intact with just a dent on the bumper. I put the wires back on the battery and it started up fine, didn't see anything wrong with the engine. My wheel needed an alignment really badly so I took it to the shop yesterday and they found a bunch of damages underneath the car that's going to take a couple grand to fix. F that. It was a broken piece of junk anyways, I kept it for reliability and it was cheap. I'm saving up for an S2000, but in the mean time I need to scrap this thing and get a new car. Was thinking about spending around $4000-$5000 on a hatchback that already got work put into it until I can get my S2000. What are some of your personal experiences with the hatchback? I read a lot about them, but I want to hear some personal opinions.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:27 PM
HCF Member

whats bent exactly because you can pick a new control arm for around $80 dollars or a strut for around $100 dollars. you never buy a modified car thats golden rule number one. what happened with the truck driver did he hit and run or something why aren't you getting paid ???

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 05-16-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:50 PM

I have a paper with a diagram of what needs repair in my car somewhere, but I don't even care at this point. This civic has been beaten and broken days on end since I got it and I spent so much on repairs, I just want a new car. I originally wanted a hatchback but ended up getting this car, long story, not tonight.

Yeah it was a hit and run, I only have liability and I don't have any info on the truck nor proof. Not much can be done at this point.

Why must one never buy a modded car? Well... I can think of a few obvious reasons.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Mods are often not done well-- mismatched parts, cheap ebay crap, stuff that is generally a bad idea like "bee in a can" exhausts or riding so low that it drags on every bump in the road... and who knows what else. A car in good stock condition is actually worth more.

Considering that 15 year old Civics are very frequently stolen and still worth considerable money, full insurance should really be considered.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:00 AM

As someone who bought a modded car, I can tell you its not easy. Most of the wiring is done cheaply. Hell in my car all the wiring was done with red wire and he took all his labeling off. If I have any regret in buying mine its that i got it from someone who had done heavy electrical rewiring on his own with no experience. Granted I've learned a lot about what not to do lol.

Overall you will spend more time fixing existing issues than actually driving the car. I learned the hard way.