General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

got a honda yesterday, have a couple ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Default got a honda yesterday, have a couple ?'s

This is my first time doing any type of forum thing, but I just have a couple of questions for anyone who could help me.... I traded my 94 full size 4x4 blazer for a 94 honda civic 4 door. the car is in excellent condition on the outside, but it's running weird. it has the original motor in it and it has like 200,000 miles on it. it takes a long time to accelerate & it shifts late & hard. also, on the interstate, you can tell it isn't very powerful & i can't get it to go over like 65 mph. the guy i traded with just changed the transmissions out, but it's not a brand new tranny. and i can't drive it much because he didn't put the protective cover back under the transmission. is my only option do just do a full motor & tranny swap? i want to get it running good before i start doing anything cosmetically to it. any advice would be greatly appreciated!! i have aim instant messanger - my screen name is tannahbaby and my email is bumpin89blazer@yahoo.com

[/align]

Old 05-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Default RE: got a honda yesterday, have a couple ?'s

If it's giving you problems idk, if I were you I would consider a full swap since it has 200,000K miles on it already, and it should eliminate every problem. You should get a JDM motor off ebay, they come with low mileage and you can get the engine/transmission together for relatively inexpensive.

you should consider buying a d16z6(125hp) or JDM d15b (130hp), unless you want even more power, but you'll have to do more work to swap in a b series or something.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:25 PM
HCF Member

well theres a reason civics get very good gas mileage, they dont have big powerful engines, but yeah 200,000 miles is a lot for any engine, you might want to change it all out. And what do you mean by it doesnt have the cover?

Old 05-25-2008, 07:42 PM
HCF Member

even though the tranny was just changed i would check the fluid level, too much or too little can cause problems. if that doesnt help have a shop check the linkage. if the linkage isnt right it wont shift properly. now this one i may be off on but on my camaro it has whats called a throttle valve (TV) cable, it goes from the throttle body to the transmission to tell it when to shift. it is possible i only have this cable because the transmission is not computer controled. but check it out and see if there is. if there is and its loose or broken replace it. it will make a huge difference.

slow acceleration= Hondas, unless there are power adders. if you're conserned about the engine pull the valve cover and look for sludge. you can also do an oil change and stick a pipe cleaner, or your finger if its small enough, in the hole for the drain plug. try to scrape around and see if you get any sludge. if you dont know what sludge is you will if its there. also do a compression test. at 200,000 the rings may be worn and you could be loosing compression. this to will hinder the power abilities of the engine. other than that all you can do at 200,000 is a tune up. unless you really want to spend the money to do a swap. sorry for being long winded, but just wanted to add my 2 cents. tryin to keep it cheap for you.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:44 PM
HCF Member

oh i forgot, check ebay for the flywheel cover for the trans. shouldnt be too expensive.