General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Grinding noise in 2006 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Default Grinding noise in 2006 Civic

I just bought a 2006 honda civic sedan less than a week ago. I was driving around today and just after I exited the toll boot I heard that really loud grinding (sort of) noise from the car. That noise was very loud and it freaked me out because I could hear it very clearly when the radio was on at volume 10 and all the doors were close. It went on for almost two minutes and finally stopped when I exited the highway. I was going about 50 miles/hour when the noise appeared and the noise went away after I slow down and turned into neighbourhood streets. The noise started when it was started driven over the rough concrete road, not bumpy but just rougher than normal road. I parked it for about 2 hours and drove it to the same highway again but the noise is gone. Should I worry about the noise? I know nothing about car so I bought a new one so that I don't have to worry about anything but now....

Should I take it to the mechanic and let them check it? I don't know what they can do since the noise is not there anymore. How much will it cost and how long will it take? I have to drive 70 miles (total) to go to work and it would be very inconvenient and costly if they keep it for a few days. Is it safe to wait until next friday to do this?

Thanks

Old 07-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Default RE: Grinding noise in 2006 Civic

So the sound only happened once?
Was there anything else that happend during the two minutes of loud noise, like steering problems, vibrations, rattles, shimmys, etc?

Because if there are no more symptoms and the problem was ONLY the loud noise, I'd guess that you drove over a cardboard box and dragged it under your car for a couple moments or something like that.

For example, just the other day, I was pulling out of my parking lot and I heard a "thwpthwpthwpthwp" noise coming from one of my wheelwells. Stepping out of the car, I thought that something might be really wrong until I discovered a few pages of stray newspaper lodged in my wheel. It must have blown in while the car was parked.

Old 07-09-2006, 08:32 AM
HCF Member

i would take it back to where you got it & have them look at it --its hard to say what it might be --maybe just a lose belt?--but the thing is - unless its making the noise while its at the shop - it may be hard to find ---make sure they dont charge you anything -you just bought it a few weeks ago

Old 07-09-2006, 09:48 PM
HCF Member

this might not be it, but on the 06 ex model there is a high compression. the engine says to run 87 octane but with 87 octane at low rpm acceleration there is some engine clanking in 2nd and 3rd between 1500 and roughly 2500rpms. 89 octane or 93 elimates this problem. if this was your noise then dont worry, but it sound like your noise lasted some time. i havent had any problems with mine but the low rpm clanking on 87 pump gas so i just run 93. i would most definatly call on it if it happens again. sorry to hear that

Old 07-11-2006, 02:03 PM

I have the same car. I didn't have that situation but when I was going in low speeds like turning into parking spots and such, I got a clunky noise. I brought it in and I guess my struts are shot after only having for a month. They didn't know why they wore abnormally like that. They ordered new ones for me. But anything that goes wrong with your car is covered for the first 3 years, or 7 if you got the extended. But like the others said, if it's not doing it when you bring it in, they probably cant help you.

Koonce727r --- So I can use 89 or 93? The dealer told me 87 only or else I'd be inthe shop. What's up with that?

Old 07-11-2006, 11:48 PM
HCF Member

You can always use a higher octane than recommended but you cannot use a lower octane than recommended. I dunno wat the dealer wat thinking when he told you that.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I've been driving it 70 miles a day at highway for a few days now. There's no noise at all, I am going to wait until the friday after this friday because I have to work on the weekend[&o]. There is one more problem though. Is it normal for the air from the fan to be warm? I am trying to use just the fan instead of air condition to save gas on my way to work but it's uncomfortablily warm in the car after I open it for like half an hour. It still output warm air even when it's raining. Is it because the fan is close to the engine? When I use air condition, it output cold air very quick though.

Here is a picture of my car[8D]. I use 88 octane gas.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12249/8417A07AB33A426D8CD0BACBF9A56405.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-14-2006, 07:50 AM

The air will warm slightly as it goes through the ventilation system. The dashboard will tend to hold a certain amount of heat that accumlates as the car sits in the sun and it takes a while for that to dissipate. What are the outside temps? Here on the Texas Gulf Coast, it's humid enough most of the time that once the temperatures reach the mid 80's or so, which we'll hit by around 10 in the morning. After that, I find it hard to stay comfortable without the AC on. Other obvious things to look for are, make sure the temperature control **** is on full cold and make sure your ventilation system is on fresh air mode and not on recirculate.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:39 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: FastLane

Here is a picture of my car[8D].
[IMG]local://upfiles/12249/8417A07AB33A426D8CD0BACBF9A56405.jpg[/IMG]
Looks like Jack from Jack in the Box after a hard night of partying...LOL

Old 07-14-2006, 12:38 PM

I use to do the same thing in my truck since it got about 13 mpg with 50% highway. I would run my A/C long enough to cool the ducting down and then **** it back to outside air vent fan.