General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

H&R OE Sport Springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Default H&R OE Sport Springs

I bought some of these to keep my suspensiona little stiffer. I just got done installing them tonight, and when I pushed down on the car to check out the stiffness, the back end of the car is horribly bouncy. you can bounce it so much that thecar seems like it is about to leave the ground. What is up with this? I was under the impression that these were supposed to be stiff. I have dropzone shocks and struts paired with the H&R springs. Anyone know why these are bouncier than the cheap eBay springs that they replaced?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:13 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: H&R OE Sport Springs

They are supposed to be stiffer than stock, but as aftermarket springs go, they are actually really soft. The regular (not "OE") Sport springs are stiffer.
How old are your shocks? How long did you have the crap springs on there? How does it actually DRIVE now?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:18 PM
HCF Member

If you bounce your car up and down (front or rear) and the suspension oscillates more than 2-3 times it is usually a sign of worn shocks. I guess the softer spring just amplifies how worn they actually are. Do you know which brand the ebay springs you had?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:51 PM

ORIGINAL: mxs

They are supposed to be stiffer than stock, but as aftermarket springs go, they are actually really soft. The regular (not "OE") Sport springs are stiffer.
How old are your shocks? How long did you have the crap springs on there? How does it actually DRIVE now?

shocks are about 6 months old. I've had the crap springs in there for 6 months aswell. Haven't driven it yet, my car is blocked in and the person who's parked behind me is asleep. What aftermarket springs brands are stiff?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:52 PM

ORIGINAL: koots

If you bounce your car up and down (front or rear) and the suspension oscillates more than 2-3 times it is usually a sign of worn shocks. I guess the softer spring just amplifies how worn they actually are. Do you know which brand the ebay springs you had?
they were Tenrai

Old 01-01-2008, 07:57 PM

i just checked the H&R website and according to the part number on my box (29863) - i actually have the regular sport springs, not the OE sport. I was thinking of the wrong name because I meant to and did purchase the regular sport springs.

here's the eBay listing i bought them on
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...61216&rd=1

and here's the h&r site with a part list for my vehicle
http://hrsprings.com/scripts/appguide.php?Mode=Application+Guide&SubMode=Fi nd2&Year=1993&ModelID=203&q=1993%20|%2 0Honda%20|%20Civic

Old 01-01-2008, 08:02 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: trustdestruction

What aftermarket springs brands are stiff?
There are lots of choices.

Lists of spring rates
http://www.jdmcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47719
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...rticle_id=3285
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/show...hreadid=136020
http://php.indiana.edu/~bchang/Pics/...ate_Table.html

Drive the car before you jump to any conclusions... I wouldn't think that you could blow out the shocks in 6 months but I guess it's entirely possible.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:16 PM

well alot of the problem i had been having before is that when i had people sit in the backseat the rear wheels would rub around corners and in dips in the road. When someone would get into the backseat the rear would sink about an inch to an inch and a half.

According to those lists, wouldn't the H&R sport springs be some of the stiffest springs?

I guess if I still have problems after this then i'll go ahead and get rid of my cheapo dropzoneshocks/struts. If I do should I get KYB, Tokico, or Skunk2?

Also, what does progressive and linear mean in terms of spring rates?

Old 01-01-2008, 08:49 PM
mxs
HCF Member

According to those lists, wouldn't the H&R sport springs be some of the stiffest springs?
They're kind of middle-of-the-pack.

I guess if I still have problems after this then i'll go ahead and get rid of my cheapo dropzone shocks/struts. If I do should I get KYB, Tokico, or Skunk2?
Konis are better than all of those but it depends how much you want to spend.

Also, what does progressive and linear mean in terms of spring rates?
A progressive spring will get stiffer as it compresses.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:54 PM

well i want to spend as least amount of money as possible without sacrificing quality. In otherwords, what are the best goodbang for the buck shocks/struts?

Quick Reply: H&R OE Sport Springs