General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

H22 Swap -VS- D16 boost

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:56 PM
HCF Member
Lightbulb H22 Swap -VS- D16 boost

I have a 2000 civic ex, d16y8, I would like to start on a project with it but I just can't make up my mind what would be best. I have already alot of bolt ons but would just like more power. It would still have to be a daily driver and last. I am considering a simple but proper turbo build or a complete swap for a H22a. I would like to know what others think the pros and cons are for both the options. I have heard that the H22 is too heavy for a civic but the power would be incredable. I know the turbo would be easier to get and cheaper but either way I go Im gonna do it right and not ebay it out. Or if another swap would be even better just let me know what your thoughts are. If a thread is already up please just post the link because I couldnt find it. thanks,

Old 01-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Welcome to the forums.

Turbo D16
Pros:
-Power
-Torque
-Less expensive than an h22 swap

Cons:
-SOHC
-less reliable than a stock motor

H22a
Pros:
-Torque
-200bhp stock
-The reliability of a stock engine
-Weighs 30lbs more than a b16 swap
-DOHC (sweet-a** sounding vtec)
-I've heard tales of chirping the tires into 4th and having traction problems through 3rd in the rain.

Cons:
-More expensive than a turbo d16 (expect to pay somewhere around $4k by the time it's said and done)
-Depending on the mounts, the driveshafts may sit at an angle, meaning increased wear/tear.

Personally, I vote H22, but I'm a huge H22 fan.

Last edited by reaper2022; 01-17-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by swopey
I have heard that the H22 is too heavy for a civic
I've heard people say that too, and it's a sack of BS. First of all, the power offsets the weight. Secondly, the H22 is only like 33 pounds heavier... if you really care that much, just get a carbon fiber hood. Then again, not having power steering or a/c on the H22 will probably offset a lot of the 33 pound difference.

A built and turbo'd d16 can make massive power. I vote for that. With the same amount of money (usually) you could either buy and swap in a stock H22, or you can build and turbo the engine you have and make massive power.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I see your point and raise you this:

With a d16, you may or may not leave much room on the table for more power gain. But with an h22, you can still modify it. Imagine a what kind of hell a boosted H22 could raise in a civic . Of course, it'll cost more, but you gotta pay to play, right?

Old 01-17-2009, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by reaper2022

With a d16, you may or may not leave much room on the table for more power gain. But with an h22, you can still modify it. Imagine a what kind of hell a boosted H22 could raise in a civic . Of course, it'll cost more, but you gotta pay to play, right?

Stock internals H22's aren't good for boost because the stock sleeves can only handle ~50hp more than stock, and the ringlands are weak.

/discussion

Old 01-18-2009, 05:36 AM
HCF Member

I think that's a good point reaper. with the stock h22 i would have alot more power with a decient amount of reliablity. I would also have alot of potential to build that once the swap is done. I hear in every story of a built and turbo'd sohc that they still want more when they are finished, i mean come on who doesnt want more power but with the H22 i still have that opportunity. Do you think the H22 is best as well and what series or year is best.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:46 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Originally Posted by trustdestruction

Stock internals H22's aren't good for boost because the stock sleeves can only handle ~50hp more than stock, and the ringlands are weak.

/discussion
Do you have proof? That sounds a lot like the weight argument, stu; I know there's plenty of boosted preludes running stock internals. And even if the sleeves are as weak as you're claiming, you can still have the block sleeved; if someone's serious about boost, they'll be building the bottom end anyway, so sleeving the block wouldn't be much of a stretch.

Like I said, I'm a huge h22 fan ; and a jdm h22a would be fine. You'll probably end up paying about $2250 for it + shipping. You'll need EK/h22 mounts, which will be about $400-$450, and you'll need EK/h22 axles, which will also be around $400-$450. Also, like any other swap, you'll want to replace the wear items like the clutch, ignition system, water pump, timing belt, etc. The total will be around $4k by the time it's in the car, which is comparable to something like a GSR swap (which still yields less power and torque). Of course, a turbo setup would cost half that, but like I said; everyone turbo's their d-series, and there's no fun in that, now is there?

Old 01-18-2009, 11:03 AM
HCF Member

with all the knowledge on the h, you shoulda stuck with the civic, instead of the mustang.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by reaper2022
Do you have proof? That sounds a lot like the weight argument, stu; I know there's plenty of boosted preludes running stock internals. And even if the sleeves are as weak as you're claiming, you can still have the block sleeved; if someone's serious about boost, they'll be building the bottom end anyway, so sleeving the block wouldn't be much of a stretch.
My proof is that Marty told me. Also, confirmed it by searching Honda-Tech.

You can boost over 50hp above stock on stock internals but the cylinders will scrape against the cylinder walls or something like that.
Of course you can sleeve the block, but that's even more money.

I'm trying to back up the fact that a built/turbo D-series is much less expensive than swapping an H22 and boosting that.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:17 PM
HCF Member

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4141058AA2Uzsa

Question
Turbo my Vtec 2.2 H22a prelude?
if i wanted to turbo my Vtec 2.2 H22a engine would it be all sweet if i upgraded all the internals or would i have to swap the block if so what should i swap it with and i dont want to buy turbo car but if theres a turbo engine that will bolt straight into a 91 prelude tell me what it is

plus if i change the internals will i need to lower the compression thanks

------------
Answer:

I am gonna give give you a real professional opinion, and I am sure you will hear the same thing when you search on any reputible site like hondatech. H22 engines have FRM sleeves, it stands for Fiber Reinforced Metal, and that material DOES NOT handle boost well at all. This is why most people don't boost h22 engines, simply because the stock sleeves are weak. I highly highly suggest that you get your block sleeved before you boost it. Getting forged pistons with frm sleeves is another way to make matters even worse with boost. Higher compression isn't as big as an issue that people make it out to be, lower compression is better, but it is not as big of a deal with lower boost. Go to evans tuning.com and you will see hundreds of cars with boost running higher comp ratios, because they are running a good tune they will last. H22's are different, if you want to do it right, then you have to sleeve the block, then put in lower comp pistons. If you want to run low boost like under 10 psi, you MIGHT get away with it, but don't be upset if you blow a hole in one of the sleeves. I have seen it happen about 4 times and that is with a good tune. Look it up anywhere and you will see. If built right, then they are monsters when boosted, if you dont want to go through all that money, then i would stay NA.

Quick Reply: H22 Swap -VS- D16 boost