General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Had a bad day at the office...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:52 PM
HCF Member
Default Had a bad day at the office...

Well today I decided to change my oil and fix the broken a/c fan. So I started to jack the car up and that went smooth. Then I tried to get the bolt out to drain the oil. It took an hour and a half to get it out. Who ever put that son of a b!tch in there did it completely wrong. They must have used an impact wrench. So next I tried to get the oil filter out. Yet again the person who changed that completely failed again. I worked on that for a half an hour and still getting get it out. So I said screw it and filled up the crankcase with oil and called it quits on that job. My one question is if I take it to the dealership to get the filter changed will they be able to do it without having to change the oil cause I just spent a lot on royal purple. Also they said they would change the filter for free, crazy huh? And then to top of the day I was trying to remove the fan and was getting really fustrated. I was also running off two hours of sleep. Being a dumbass I just started to unbolt anything that was in my way. What do you kno I unbolted something and freon starts shooting out everywhere. This sent me through the roof and I called it quits for working on the car and put everything back together and now here I am. Just thought I would let everyone know how my day went LOL.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:59 PM
HCF Member

no fun working on cars when everything goes wrong

oil filter wise, how were you trying to get it off?

these sell at autozone for like 5 bux and ive never had a problem after using that...or worst case, knock a screwdriver through it and hit the screwdriver till it moves.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:59 PM
HCF Member

Harsh day man... harsh day.
When the dealership pulls off your filter, oil will come out. Not all of it, but there will be oil out. I cannot say how much, for I don't remember.
Go to sleep, try again tomorrow. Turn on some smoothing, relaxing music. lol.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:10 PM
HCF Member

listen to some Cuba Percussion!!! or nat king cole

Old 04-14-2009, 07:28 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Hailchristian
no fun working on cars when everything goes wrong

oil filter wise, how were you trying to get it off?

these sell at autozone for like 5 bux and ive never had a problem after using that...or worst case, knock a screwdriver through it and hit the screwdriver till it moves.
ok snap, thanks so much man. I'm so tired i didnt even think about asking about a tool. Sweet Ima go get one tomorrow, should make things easier. But I wont loose too much oil right? I still have half a quart. That should b good right?

Old 04-14-2009, 09:00 PM
HCF Member

not sure on how much you will loose..i dont think it will be too much, most of the oil sits in the pan.

k&N filters have a bolt welded to them...other companies should pick up this....LEGIT man

Old 04-14-2009, 11:37 PM
HCF Member

^^^ yeah dude forreal, thats the replacement one i got. O well i got about a half quart left so ill go from there. Thanks again man!

Old 04-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You can change the filter without changing the oil. The end-cap style wrench works well to remove them. Get the one that fits your filter exactly (take your car to the store and try it). If the wrench is too loose, sometimes it works to put some paper towels or a rag between it and the filter. After removing the filter fill the new filter with new oil and install it. Don't try to reuse the oil that's in the old filter. Run the engine then stop it and check the dipstick, top up if necessary.

For the A/C I think it is just two bolts on the top and maybe two on the bottom holding the fan to the condenser. Now that the refrigerant is gone though you could take the whole condenser out of the car, change the fan and put it back in. Do not leave the lines open. Since you put the fitting back on last night, it should be OK. If you don't have the tools to do so, have a shop "evacuate and recharge" the A/C system. Do not just charge it with a DIY can of refrigerant. Since a line has been opened, you must use a vacuum pump to take the air out of the lines before charging. Trying to run a mixture of refrigerant and air will give poor cooling performance at best.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Administrator - Formerly 90Civtegra

You could use either one of these tools (I use the second one the most):

or

Old 04-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member

on my old impala ive had to use the LARGE SCREW DRIVER technique

grab a large strong screw driver and hammer it thru the filter and crank the screw driver over to turn the filter off. always worked great for me with those filters that dont have the wrench type end.
tho i typically dont have to do it that way but i have had to do it 3 times now. but i have had t impala for 13years and a solid 6years of that was daily driving.

Quick Reply: Had a bad day at the office...