General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Hatchback Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 04:09 AM
Default Hatchback Problem

Hello all, been quite a while since I've been here. I have a 91 civic hatchback with a raw gas odor inside the car. Yesterday I exposed the gas lines and fill tube expecting to find a leak in a line or something but found nothing. I was just wandering if anyone has ever had this problem and what the cause is. Any insight anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx in advance
volusiacrazy

Old 02-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Hatchback Problem

Maybe it's just your gas cap? Does it smell real strong by the gas cap door?

Check the fittings on the top of the gas tank. I think in a hatchback the access cover will still be under the back seat. Take the bottom cushion of the back seat out and there should be a plate that can be unscrewed to work on the fuel pump, etc.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:16 AM

I already have the back seat removed and there is no plate but I was wandering if maybe the gas tank itself wasn't causing some kind of problem.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well only thing i can say is air the car out and sniff around for fumes....

have you ever instaled a stereo in the car like a amplifier or subs in the back?
typicaly ALOT of people will drill a hole for the ground wires or to mount stuff and use to long of screws that will put holes in the gas tank. i know thats the most common problem. could be if ya bought the car just alittle while ago the previous owner might have removed that screw when removing the stereo so now the hole is just open and leaking......
pull back the carpet and such and look for any holes in the steel that dont look factory at all and you SHOULD be able to spot it. if you do you could "try" to plug the hole but it doesnt always hold for to long... best to buy a NEW GAS TANK! and replace it!

but if you dont see any holes then check all the clamps to see if they are tight, or any rubber hoses that look cracked up, if so replace them!
but if those both look fine then i say check all your fuel lines from the gas tank running to the motor and back.
it could also be a rusty fuel line is leaking. the underbody doesnt get cleaned as good so alot more prone to rust from salt geting up around the steel lines...