General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Header Gasket Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Default Header Gasket Problems

I keep blowing header gaskets. Im talking about the one between the 2 pieces of a 2 piece header. Tomorrow I plan on cutting out a new gasket out of this sheet of gasket material i have, and im going to put it on like normal.
I read that using High Temperature Silicone RTV or Copper High Temperature RTV on the gasket will help and prevent my gasket from blowing again.
My question is, which of the two previously mentioned materials will work better in protecting my gasket from blowing and help it make a better seal?

My guess is the copper.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Default RE: Header Gasket Problems

anyone? wanted to do this today so opinions would be great asap. otherwise i'm just gonna go get the copper and hope it's the better of the two.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:26 AM

post are not working
dfgkidfjdsfgdsfg

Old 07-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Trust, do you think the underlying problem is that the interface between the head and block is warped?

Old 07-24-2008, 11:17 AM

^^^ it's the gasket in between the two header pieces. i'm not sure if it's warped or not. i just got back from advance auto parts and i picked up the copper rtv, hopefully with it on the gasket i won't have another problem.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:46 PM

well i replaced the gasket today. i think i figured out the problem. my catalytic converter has a spin flange, and it wasn't adjusted right, which was putting strain on the header's 2-piece joint. so i took the downpipe portion of the header completely off, and bolted it to the header with the new gasket and the copper rtv, and torqued the bolts down nice and tight. then i connected the cat, using the spin flange to line up the flanges so there would be as little strain on the header's joint as possible. i waited about an hour, then took it for a short drive. i got home, let it cool off, and re-torqued the bolts. so far so good, i hope it holds up this time.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:42 PM
HCF Member

Oh man I've been going through the same ****. Don't buy the gasket material!. Tried the same thing worked for a couple days then bam blows. I have a megan racing header and the reason i'm pretty sure is because the two pieces aren't machined perfectly flat.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:44 PM
HCF Member

I've been calling megan for 3 months and they still don't have gaskets. What I did that finally worked was I bought an OEM acura/honda gasket, lined it up with the blown gasket from the header.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:45 PM
HCF Member

Then used a dremel to widen the flange holes and remake where the bolt holes go. Been working now for a month, but I know in about a month or two this one will go but atleast the package comes with two. If you need more info pm me.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:19 PM

well what kind of gasket material are you using? im using some that seems like pretty much the same material as a megan gasket, i just had to cut it myself. it still seems to be holding up well. that copper rtv might be helping a lot.

Quick Reply: Header Gasket Problems