General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Header, Intake, and Catback?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:01 PM
HCF Member
Default Header, Intake, and Catback?

I got a 92 Civic LX with 184,000 miles on it & plan on adding a header, Intake(most likely Short Ram) and a nice muffler that like to purr!
I'm kinda new here & been mostly read into the Mechanical Problem section of the forum.
But anyway..buying an intake is no problem..My problem is I'm trying to figure out what I should buy first out of a header, a Cat & a purring muffler because I can't buy them all at the same time because they'll cost too much.

BTW..what the heck is a catback? I've heard of this term alot but I've never really seen it explained. Is it a Muffler with a Cat together?

Thank you in advance!

Old 06-14-2010, 08:37 PM

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...splay.php?f=12

read the stickies in this section. They should help you a lot. I would go intake or exhaust first... header last either way.

Oh and cat-back does not include the cat. It is the section of the exhaust from the "cat" "back". In otherwords, everything after the cat.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:01 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...splay.php?f=12

read the stickies in this section. They should help you a lot. I would go intake or exhaust first... header last either way.

Oh and cat-back does not include the cat. It is the section of the exhaust from the "cat" "back". In otherwords, everything after the cat.
So a 'cat-back system' has all you need? Something like this:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=all&id=6396

Old 06-15-2010, 09:11 PM

Not sure what you mean by "all you need".

A cat back is the portion of the exhaust after the catalytic converter. It does not include the catalytic converter. You re-use your stock everything at the catalytic converter and before it. The cat-back bolts onto the existing catalytic converter and runs to the back of the car.

If the exhaust is that one in the picture on the site you linked me to, that shortest piece of pipe will not be used... it is a "test pipe", which is intended to be used as an extension on non-EX models, because non-EX models have the catalytic converter built into the exhaust manifold in front of the engine, whereas the EX model has the catalytic converter underneath the car.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:46 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
Not sure what you mean by "all you need".

A cat back is the portion of the exhaust after the catalytic converter. It does not include the catalytic converter. You re-use your stock everything at the catalytic converter and before it. The cat-back bolts onto the existing catalytic converter and runs to the back of the car.

If the exhaust is that one in the picture on the site you linked me to, that shortest piece of pipe will not be used... it is a "test pipe", which is intended to be used as an extension on non-EX models, because non-EX models have the catalytic converter built into the exhaust manifold in front of the engine, whereas the EX model has the catalytic converter underneath the car.
Are you sure about the Non Ex model being like that? Because I got an 92 LX(no swap) and took off the header(stock) just to see the condition of the inside & there was 3 bolts(rusted to the tee) I had to remove at the bottom of the header. I'm kinda sure the pipe that runs after the header is the cat...not unless it's just an extension pipe to the cat.

Or maybe I'm just seeing things...

Old 06-16-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mecca8383
Are you sure about the Non Ex model being like that? Because I got an 92 LX(no swap) and took off the header(stock) just to see the condition of the inside & there was 3 bolts(rusted to the tee) I had to remove at the bottom of the header. I'm kinda sure the pipe that runs after the header is the cat...not unless it's just an extension pipe to the cat.

Or maybe I'm just seeing things...
I am talking about 6th generation Civics ('96-'00)... because I forgot who the OP was and that other person said something that made me think they were the OP (without me looking to check).

On yours (92-95 Civic), they all have the catalytic converter under the car.