General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Headlight/Tail Light HELP PLEASE!!

Old 03-14-2008, 02:26 PM
HCF Member
Default Headlight/Tail Light HELP PLEASE!!

I bought these headlights and tail lights for my 2007 Civic Si and since I'm completely naive to customizing cars, I have no idea how to install them. I've been told from some people that i need to seal them with silicone adhesive before installation so water doesn't get inside, and told from some that i don't because they are supposedly already sealed. I'm afraid that if i DO seal them, i'm going to completely make a mess and screw up the lights, and if I don't thenwater is going to get in the housing and destroy them. What do you think? I've looked at where the clear face meets the black back and there are some small gaps but i can't tell if they are sealed underneath or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

I know this pic probably won't help much please take a look, any help is appreciated and also if you are in the Austin, Texas area and you can help or know anyone that can help me install these...please let me know. I've called around at various auto shops and they are all charging $150+ for installation, i really don't feel like paying almost as much for installation as i paid for the lights themselves. Thanks a lot!!!

Also, let me know what you think of these lights, I'm having mixed feelings about if they would look good on my car or not. I'm trying to get as much black and red on my car as possible. (More car pics in my profile)

[IMG]local://upfiles/18893/B31829236699432A8FEC1B662FE313BE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-14-2008, 04:03 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Headlight/Tail Light HELP PLEASE!!

$150 to install the headlight and taillights? that's rediculous for something that can easily be installed yourself. for the taillights its just nuts and bolts and just plug and play. for the headllights you need to take off the front bumper and it's just nuts, bolts and screws. not hard at all if you can locate them. then it's just removing some bolts that holds the headlights onto the body frame. and it's simply plug and play. no wiring work needed. just remove your headlights and taillights plug and plug them into the new lights. i'm not exactly sure where all the bolts and screws are because i have not looked at the newer model civics. but i am sure you can get that information here. as for sealing the lights i would seal them even if i make a big mess. but if you do it slowly doubt you will make a make. even if you do it can easily be covered up by the hood, fenders and bumper. use some clear silicone. better than have water inside your lights. i would definitely install the lights myslef, spend that $150 on some other mods. good luck.

Nice looking Si, would love to own the newer model si's myslef.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:05 PM
HCF Member

Mmmm yeah I'm definately going to pass on installing the headlights myself. I've never installed a thing on my car myself because i don't trust myself to do it right haha...

Where can i buy the silicone adhesive? I was told that if i do it, to put some handsoap on my finger and then smooth on the silicone so it doesnt get dry and clumpy. Have you ever done this or is there a better way? I have no problem sealing the headlights because they are going to be enclosed in the actual frame of the car, but the tail lights would really show the mess if i made one.

My boyfriend tried to install some aftermarket tail lights on his Scion TC and didn't do too hot so that's why i'm worried it might be just as hard on the Civics, but i hear the Civics are a lot simpler made.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:45 PM
HCF Member

You can buy the clear silicone in any auto shop store. (with clear you can make any mess you want and it wont be too noticeable). And go ahead and trust yourself. It really is very very easy, just a couple of screws and the lights are out. Try doing the tail lights yourself, If you find that too hard ( i doubt it) then dont install the headlights yourself.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:34 AM
HCF Member

it's not hard to install at all. if you can screw and unscrew bolts and screws, you can do it. you can buy the silicone at any auto store. make sure its for plastic. like cyberx32 said, try installing the taillights first. headlight is a little harder just because you need to remove front bumper. but same concept as taillight