General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

headlights going crazy

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Default RE: headlights going crazy

ORIGINAL: mk378

If it is simple to unplug all the HID stuff and hook up halogen bulbs to the stock wiring for testing, that would help confirm if it is the light switch or something with the conversion.

i am pretty sure it's not HID... but yea thatsa good idea... i'll give that a try also

Old 12-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: trustdestruction

ORIGINAL: RonJ

I think your Combination Switch is sporadically faulty. If the problem continues or worsens, troubleshoot the headlight component of the switch as described in the pictures.
also, if it's sporadically faulty, will there always be no continuity if the switch is the problem? For example, could i check it and it turn out there is continuity, even though the switch could still be possibly faulty - since it only happens sometimes?

You are correct. If the fault is sporadic, then its detection with the continuity tester likewise may be sporadic. You might be able to overcome this dilemma by performing the continuity test multiple times after alternately turning the headlight switch to the ON and OFF positions.

Alternatively, if you were to rule out other components on the circuit (e.g., relays), then you might just consider replacing your current combination switch with a new one or a used one from a salvage yard to see whether the problem goes away.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:22 PM

Alright,I fixed the problem.
All dayI was stumped about this and decided to recheck all of the basic wiring for problems. Turns out, my two relays had gotten moisture in them from being so close to the hole in the engine bay where my stock intake once went through. The moisture had caused somecorrosion on the relay's terminals. So, I got out this pointy screwdriver-like tool and scraped the corrosion off, and used an old toothbrush to help clean it out also. Then i put both relays back on, tested my low beams, and was satisfied. Later tonight,I was driving and decided to turn my brights on. Same problem - but now with the high beams. I figured that i must have put the relay that was previously on the high beam wires onto the low beam wires. I then got home, popped open the hood, checked both relays and found the one now on the high beams. I took this one out, opened the relay's casing, and the whole inside had corrosion on it. I gave it a good clean, plugged it back in, and it worked. I then covered both of the relays pretty good in some electrical tape - hoping to seal them from possible future moisture. Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions, and even though it wasn't the switch I still learned a bit about how to tell if the switch might ever be a problem in the future.

Just one question... Do you guys think the electrical tape is enough to keep moisture out of the relays? Should i also use something else, or something else instead of the electrical tape?

Old 12-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Good job figuring out the problem! I don't think electrical tape is the longterm solution. The relays need a permanently dry location, perhaps some type of sealed plastic enclosure. Call around to your local auto parts stores and ask about what they may have.

I am concerned about your relays in the long run. The water damage may cause problems in the future even if the relays remain dry. You might want to consider buying new ones.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:00 PM

Alright, thanks for the advice. I'm going to look into getting a plastic box that these relays will fit in, mount it on the side of the engine bay where they are now, and sealing the box and areas where the wires go into the box with some silicone. I'll check advance auto parts sometime this or next week for an enclosure of some sort.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:02 PM

I had this problem again after cleaning out the relays. It took me 3 auto parts stores and a radioshack to find the relays... i finally found them at pep boys. I'm in tampa right now and there isn't a pep boys near my house, so i stocked up. lol. I bought 5 relays, weatherproof tape, electric tape, and silicone. Also i bought some silverstar bulbs. So i plugged in the relays, and then put silicone over all of the openings where moisture could possibly get in. Then i wrapped it all in weatherproof tape. To finish it off, I wrapped all of it in some sticky electrical tape to hold it all on there better. Hopefully this will solve my problem... and if it doesn't, I still have 3 extra relays just in case, so that i can fix it better the next time, if there is a next time.