General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Headlights left on alarm

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:38 PM
Default Headlights left on alarm

I have a 2003 Civic with 152,000 miles. Runs great. However, the alarm that sound when the headlight are left and the drivers door is opened no longer works. I cant tell you how many times in the last month I have come out to a dead battery. Does anyone know what is likely wrong and if I can fix it myself.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:43 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Headlights left on alarm

theres a short somewhere, and unlessyou know a lot about wiring i woudlnt try to find it

Old 08-31-2007, 12:46 PM
HCF Member

I don't know about civics because I don't own one. But on my truck there's a switch and when the door is open the switch closes the circuit and it dings. Does your dome light come on when you open the door?

Old 08-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well how about remembering to turn your headlights off

OR buy a aftermarket AUTO HEADLIGHT TURN ON modual... that way ya realy wont have to even TOUCH the headlight switch if ya got some basic wiring knowledge!
if ya do very easy!
ill be instaling them on my civic hopefully this weekend as a quick project.....
ive had it siting around for about a year now.LOL

Old 08-31-2007, 01:08 PM
HCF Member

remove the fuse for the headlights... who needs em, thats what street lights are for anyways right?!

good luck finding the short, check the problem areas where the cables might move frequently(doors, other movable parts, etc.)

Old 08-31-2007, 01:22 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if the dome light doesnt work then its not a short... its just your door trigger is dirty and wont make conection to ground when door is open... preaty minor if the dome light doesnt come on.... if it does THEN NO TELLING

Old 08-31-2007, 01:30 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

well if the dome light doesnt work then its not a short... its just your door trigger is dirty and wont make conection to ground when door is open... preaty minor if the dome light doesnt come on.... if it does THEN NO TELLING
He said his battery dies, so it has to be a short somewhere

Old 08-31-2007, 01:43 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya of course his battery is gonna die IF HE LEAVES HIS HEADLIGHTS ON

at least thats how it sounds to me........ he is leaving ON his headlights and the door chime feature isnt telling him he forgot to turn them off........

Old 08-31-2007, 02:28 PM
HCF Member

Lol ohhhhhh now i see his post.[sm=laughat.gif]

Old 08-31-2007, 02:43 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: davebtwo

I have a 2003 Civic with 152,000 miles. Runs great. However, the alarm that sound when the headlight are left and the drivers door is opened no longer works. I cant tell you how many times in the last month I have come out to a dead battery. Does anyone know what is likely wrong and if I can fix it myself.
I have the same problem in my civic too. Its called the headlight chime.

Go to Radio Shack, and ask for a 12v chime. Open up the fuse box under the dash, somewhere in there, the head light chime wires are there. Find it. Then " Twist the red and white wires together and install a crimp on the pair and a crimp on the black wire. On a NEG. GROUND CAR: Attach the red/white combo wire to the “S & T” terminal and the black wire to the “IG” terminal on your ignition switch"

Quick Reply: Headlights left on alarm