General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Heating turns into a Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Default Heating turns into a Coolant Leak

A little while I posted about my heating not working. Someone suggested to check the coolant and it was low so I topped off. I thought the problem was good and done for but on my hour long road trek to Frederick (in maryland) I arrived at my destination and realized my check engine light flipped on. Called my brother and he said to call him if it drove weird.

On my way back it was driving fine and the engine light was off so I didnt worry about it. My interior lights dont light up the temp and gas gauge needles so I was driving and all the sudden my Oil and Battery lights went on and my car wouldn't accelerate. I stopped and decided to let things cool off (My hood was pouring smoke out of it) and drive to the closest place. Stopped at a liquor store and on the .1 mile of distance I drove I realized my temp was all the way to the red. I spoke some french and eventually some guy stopped asked what was wrong and gave me a gallon of anti freeze (Cool guy). I made it home but had to make frequent stops.

Anyone know how to fix this thing or if because I drove with it on hot till the oil and battery lights came on if I just seriously messed up my car.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Not good at all. Overheating is an efficient way to destroy an engine. The problem could be a coolant leak (busted hose or bad radiator cap), a bad thermostat or water pump, or a blown head gasket. Fill the cooling system with coolant and the engine with oil and look for leaks. Good luck.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:35 PM

I figured that much