General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Help buying 1st Honda

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Default Help buying 1st Honda

I am looking for a daily driver and I came across a 97 Civic with 190k miles on it for $1800 and was wondering if anyone here could help me out. I dont really know much about those cars but the thing is in PRESTINE condition. ZERO rust, fresh paint, new lights, great interior, it is literally cleaner than my mustang and has been garage kept and detailed for the past 13yrs. Even the motor is spotless.

Im coming from the mustang world so Im not sure whats what.

Its a 5spd and the original clutch is still in it and performing great!

One owner (50 yr old lady) and she has a log book of every time it was serviced since she bought it.

Things changed recently were- battery, timing belt, brake cylinder, calipers, pads, rotors, exhaust system, stereo, belt, plugs, wires, tires.

Even the suspension is in great condition.

I want to know what else I should be concerned about on these cars? I mean for almost 200k miles I cant really complain but still Id like to know.

Also I prefer an automatic for the stop and go traffic. Im sure the cluch wont last that long so how much would it be to do a manual to auto conversion? I am sure the syncros in the trans are worn but it drives and shifts perfectly.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:07 AM
HCF Member

The original clutch is in there? And after almost 200k it still feels good? I find that hard to believe lol. But hey if it doesn't have any body damage or anything, seems like a pretty good deal. If the engine is well taken care of, it can go to 300k. And then swapping in a new engine isn't terribly hard.

And you don't want the automatic transmission. They suck.

Plus you'd have to cut out where the shifter linkages go through the underside of the car, and go cut out an automatic plate from another to put in there.

You'll have to deal with the rear transmission mount being not quite in the same place.

You'll have to wire in all the solenoids and such that are associated with the auto trans that aren't there (and the auto wont work without them). Not to mention the under dash wiring might be different, like the plugs for the auto trans shifter won't be there.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:55 PM

Guess its a lot more complicated than the mustang lol

So what about replacing the clutch than? I assume thats easy. What brands are suitable for a stock application and what else is needed besides resurfacing the flywheel and replacing the throwout bearing? Does it have a pilot bearing too?

Old 10-14-2010, 04:07 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by nghtshd88
Guess its a lot more complicated than the mustang lol

So what about replacing the clutch than? I assume thats easy. What brands are suitable for a stock application and what else is needed besides resurfacing the flywheel and replacing the throwout bearing? Does it have a pilot bearing too?
Replacing the clutch isn't too hard. If you just want an OE replacement, go with Exedy. Comes with everything you need, including that pilot bearing.