General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

HELP! Does this Civic need a valve adjustment? About to buy this car.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Exclamation HELP! Does this Civic need a valve adjustment? About to buy this car.

HELP! I'm about to buy this car but want to check with the experts here. I'm in a rush because I need a car before the end of the weekend so I can get to work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXsoj_DPdfA

I'm about to buy this Honda. It's a 2001 with about 170,000 miles on it. Service records are pretty solid and it's been well cared for. Carfax is clean. The clicking is noticeable (the video kind of amplifies the noises when I hold it close to the engine). The car is otherwise in excellent condition and the best of the few I've seen. Others I've seen have been unkempt and are just piles of junk. My only real concern is that there has never been a timing chain adjustment. The car pulls strong, transmission is solid and there's no other problems.

I just want to confirm that this is a valve adjustment issue and, if so, what would a valve adjustment cost? The only other thing I could imagine causing that problem would be an exhaust leak but given the location of the clicking I'm sure it's just a valves.

Will I be fine with a valve adjustment or is this indicative of a larger more serious problem? Deal breaker or buy the car?

Old 11-06-2010, 04:50 PM
HCF Member

I had a similar ticking but it was a little slower. I got a set of feeler guages for $5 and adjusted the valve lash myself. It was my first time doing that and it took maybe a half hour at most. If the valve lash does have to be adjusted I would suggest doing it yourself so long as your comfortable with it. Assuming its a similar procedure on ur engine as mine anyway...
Could still be something else wrong with it though. Maybe one of the more mechanically inclined members will chime in here.