General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Help!!! I went over ice with my car

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Default RE: Help!!! I went over ice with my car

Total Labor: 2275 @ 48.00 per unit. ($48 * 47.4 units)
Toal Replacement Parts: 401.61
Total Additional Costs: 445.96
Gross Total 3122.77

Old 02-12-2008, 06:02 PM

Its a 2007 civic LX. The thing is, the side skirt extends all the way back over the rear wheel.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:49 PM
HCF Member

Oh damn. I didnt know the car was so new. Yeah well you could still go to a dealer and buy a stock skirt from them, it will cost but not as much as the bodyshop wants to charge you.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:09 PM
HCF Member

Replace or repair the parts yourself. What is the sideskirt made of? If it's thin sheetmetal, you may be able to repair the dent in warmer weather by using a blow dryer around the area and then cold CO2 right on it. Instead of worrying about fixing the paint on the skirt, I'd consider masking it off and Herculining the whole rocker on both sides of the car. It will help protect against future dents, scrapes, and rust.

The door may just need to be buffed with rubbing compound, clearcoated, and waxed. Is the door dented? Is the paint REALLY messed up?

Old 02-12-2008, 07:23 PM

Yes, its think sheet metal. I was thinking that it might be easier to just havea layer of plastic melted on the side skirts, on both sides. Somehow just fill in the dents/ smooth out the rough edges and cover it up with lots of plastic. It might look kinda weird/cool, but oh well,cant be helped.Is that what Herculining is? I really like that idea, but I'm pretty sure i'm not competent enough to do that myself. I'd have to ask a body shop person to do that. It hopefully wont cost anywhere near the 3100.

the door is just scratched a little. But yeah, the skirt is really scratched and dentedpretty bad.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I really appreciate it.

Oh and yeah, please keep 'em coming. I'm in buffalo grove, IL if any of you guys know of body shops that can help me with this.

Thanks a million!!!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:55 PM
HCF Member

I hate ice. Its how I got into my one wreck.

Anyhow, $3100 to fix a side skirt is RIDICULOUS. You could do one of two options, A. Check a junkyard for your make and model. Installation is a piece of cake. B. Order aftermarket sideskirts and install them (you can get them painted to match your car if you so desire). Or C. Just take your sideskirts off. Definitely the cheap option, but they are only there for looks.

Also, as for the scratch on your door, you can order factory color touchup paint, so it looks decent again.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:58 PM
HCF Member

wait if its an 07 then isn't is still under warranty? also if you have full coverage just call them up and tell them. Pay the 300-500 deductable and have insurance pay for the rest.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:19 AM
HCF Member

Warranty doesn't cover collisions. He can possibly repair this for less than his deductible, and his rates won't go up for having a claim.

To the OP...Just research buffing out scratches with rubbing compound, applying clearcoat, and waxing. Then google Herculiner. If you can color with crayons or paint window trim, you should be able to Herculine your rocker panels.

Decide if you want to try repairing the sideskirt, replacing it with a used part, replacing it with a new part, replacing it with an aftermarket part, or having a shop replace it. I'd try repairing the dent with a blowdryer and CO2 first. It's cheap and might be really easy.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:29 AM

Right now, I'm leaning towards just covering it up. How? I'm not sure yet. Herculiner seems the way to go, but I'm a little wearyof what it might do to the resalevalue.

Also,I wonder howeffective the blow dryeris going to be. I live in an apartment complex with open-air parking and its like well below freezing all the time these days in the Midwest.

I'm still going to go get estimates from different body shops to see what they say.

Thanks.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:03 AM

The expense is not the parts.....it's the labor.

Quick Reply: Help!!! I went over ice with my car