General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Help me decide which civic to purchase for modding

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Default RE: Help me decide which civic to purchase for modding

Getting back on topic here...

Why is a 92-95 CX better as opposed to a '96+?

Old 01-30-2008, 10:13 PM

civictuner u were wrong, re-read the posts and shutup.

ORIGINAL: morder

theira little lighter.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:20 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: SovXietday
If you want a Honda to mod, 92-95 CX hatch, gut, swap, turbo. Doesn't need to be pretty, just make it fast and worry about aesthetics later.
sounds like i started on the right foot lol

ORIGINAL: civicexracer

civictuner u were wrong, re-read the posts and shutup.

ORIGINAL: morder

theira little lighter.
and there already obd1

Old 01-31-2008, 09:09 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: TheInternet
What about you, you stupid rude ****ing idiot...get a dictionary, "S-P-E-L-D" is a not even a word you dumb ****...

Maybe you should go back to "S-H-C-O-O-L"...
wow... owned and he gets it at post #7.

Me, Id go a $1500 POS and drop a turbo in it.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:12 AM

well ive been around a day or so, and you are a friendly bunch aint ya!!

And one of the best RWD cars i have owned and sticking to the Jap vibe is the Toyota MR2 MK2, great fun and are highly tunable!! more so the turbo or Tubby as its known, which is what i had if you get the right revision they are 280BHP stock and thats a lot for a very light coupe, mine was running 400HP and not much could touch it. Sadly its now driven through the pearly gates

vince

Old 01-31-2008, 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: VTEC_VINNIE

well ive been around a day or so, and you are a friendly bunch aint ya!!

And one of the best RWD cars i have owned and sticking to the Jap vibe is the Toyota MR2 MK2, great fun and are highly tunable!! more so the turbo or Tubby as its known, which is what i had if you get the right revision they are 280BHP stock and thats a lot for a very light coupe, mine was running 400HP and not much could touch it. Sadly its now driven through the pearly gates

vince
Unfortunately the turbo is out of my price range. Would it be a bad idea to buy a non-turbo MR2 and try to turbo it?

Old 01-31-2008, 02:06 PM

Well, a non turbo or NA as its known amung owners (normaly Aspirated) comes in 5 revisions, and 3 engine outputs, they are all 2ltr Double overhead cams.

112BHP
158BHP
173BHP

the 158BHP engine is the one to go for known as the 3SGE, as it was put into the early MK2's but the car was quite a bit lighter than the later ones and can accelerate faster than the bigger HP engine. the 0-60 is dealt with in 6.7 secs depending on engine age of course.

I personaly see no gain in adding a turbo to one as for the price of fitting one aswell as brake, ECU upgrades ect you might aswell buy a tubby.

Theres a few different options for the NA, of couse you could fit exhausts, filters and performance cams, which will give you a slight increase in power.

you can do engine transplants on the NA, the most common is the BEAMs Red Top VVTI which pushes out 200BHP! and is a rev happy engine like the VTEC's.

The best option is available in the UK, not sure about the US and thats the V6 conversion where the 3ltr V6 engine is taken from the Toyota Camry and stuck in the back of the MR2, this is the way i would go, not as fast as a standard tubby but very respectable.

do a search on You Tube for MR2 V6 and you will see what i mean.

MR2 engine works simular to a VTEC in which extra valves open at around 5000rpm and the car then pulls like a train.

vince

Old 01-31-2008, 02:46 PM

Wow, thank you vince, are there any advantages to going NA as opposed to turbo (on any car for that matter)?

Now I just need to decide between the MR2 and the Civic CX.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:15 PM

the non turbo is more realiable, like any car thats possibly a few years old and done a fair few miles/KM's then treat them with respect and they will give you years of joy.

also turbo parts will fit on an NA, apart from engine parts of course.

loads of websites to get aftermarket parts from, theres also an MR2 bi monthly mag, and several very good forums, which im a member of two of the biggest.

are you an exsperienced driver? as the MR2 does require some skill as do most RWD cars, but the MR2 will drift quite easy, and you must know your limits.

i only ever lost mine once, and that was on a round about lol,

vince

Old 01-31-2008, 03:56 PM
HCF Member

the older Toyotas dont have "lift" which is like VTEC. Its called vvt-i(variable valve timing with intelligence) and works only on the intake side. Its constantly varying the valves and there is no set engagment point so you never feel it.

Quick Reply: Help me decide which civic to purchase for modding