General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

HELP with my '99 Civic LX "MONEY PIT"

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:09 AM
Default HELP with my '99 Civic LX "MONEY PIT"

Hey guys...

So I'm having yet another issue with my civic. It's turned into a black hole that sucks down all my hard earned cash. It really blows.

So here's the deal. My car won't start. Sometime it will start if I'm lucky or maybe if I slip the clutch in a push start but I usually fail at this. I honestly dont know what is wrong with it. Sometime back I had this issue with my car but I fixed it and it worked fine. This is what I did a few months ago:

I replaced: distributor cap and rotor, coil, ICM, spark plugs (gapped accordingly to Honda specs), new plug wires. Car worked fine after that. But recently I started having problems again.

For some reason, my car (manual tranny) would jerk violently when I would drive (usually between 1-3 gear) and sometimes it would just die when I was driving or when I was at a stop. I tried adding in a fuel injector additive to clean the injectors but that didnt work. Recently I've done the following:

added FI cleaner, changed spark plugs again (just in case), bought a NEW battery, changed out the fuel filter. Car still died when I drove it and would stall at stops. After that I took it to a mechanic who did the following:

cleaned the fuel injectors
cleaned the throttle sensor or TPI or whatever its called
cleaned the vaccuum hoses
and he did some more crap that I dont remember.

The car worked great for like a day after this. But now it wont start again.

What could it be?? I tried to narrow it down to either: oxygen sensor, catalytic converter, fuel pump, or maybe the fuel pressure in the tank.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS OR HELPFUL ADVICE?? Im getting ready to torch my car!!! Ahhhhhh

Old 06-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Don't double post.