General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Helpppppp =(

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Chubby Chaser

lol, it means who ever installed you suspension forgot a washer that stops the shock rod from doing that. and thats the whole reason you have been having problems with your front end.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:41 PM
HCF Member

lol this is exactly what happened to my front shock after I lowered my car(took a few weeks of driving for the piston to bust out like that).

Don't worry though, it's an easy fix. As long as the piston isn't bent your shock is still good. Whoever put the strut together used the wrong washer. I had to take apart both front shocks to fix my problem(one piston already went through like your pic and my other shock was getting close to going through as well)

They probably used the thin stainless steel washers that were included in the kyb mount kit, but you're supposed to re-use the thick tapered washer that sits on the top of the piston, below the threaded part(where it forms a cone)

here's a pic of the shock upside down, but you can see the bronze looking washer that's needed.
http://pollito.no-ip.com/sleeper/Sus.../Front/010.JPG

btw you might want to check your hood for a lump, because when that happened I nearly put a hole in my hood.

Simply take apart the shock(you want to do this for both shocks in the front), replace the thin bent washer with the one in the pic. Fixed.

Last edited by inthezoneac; 05-28-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:24 PM
HCF Member

read my post.

You take it off the stock/original strut. Your car is lowered, I'm assuming you installed new struts.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Chubby Chaser

no he bought the car like that

Old 05-28-2010, 05:48 PM
HCF Member

sorry, thought you did it yourself.

Just go to your honda dealership and order it. They should know what you're talking about, also their computers show pics of every part

Old 05-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Don't drive like that, if that isn't already obvious. You'll need a spring compressor tool to take it apart. This is why you don't buy a car that's already modified, the guy who did it did a really shoddy job.