General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

heres your chance

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Default heres your chance

tell me what YOU would do to a fully stock 99 honda civic dx engine or apperance wise it dont matter...jst wanted some opinions

Old 07-06-2007, 10:17 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: heres your chance

swap it out. If I couldnt swap I'd do a mini-me.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:19 PM

ok heres the catch now you only have limited amount of cash haha

Old 07-06-2007, 10:22 PM
HCF Member

Well then, whats the limit? I am a "go" guy, not a "show" guy, so the engine would use up most of my funds. Id do a mini-me first, just to get more power out of the car and then go from there.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:24 PM

were talking maybe a grand 1200 somewhere around there

Old 07-07-2007, 01:25 AM
HCF Member

I'd get some strut and anti-swaybars. Run the stock springs and struts until they wear out and then swap to adjustable coilovers.

I'd get some decent tires and rims when the stockers wore out, keeping the stock rims to mount some skinny Blizzak WS-50s on for the winter (if you see bad snow).The tires and suspension will even get a slow Civic to feel pretty sporty in the corners. It may also help you avoid a collision that could total the ride you want to personalize.

If you see a lot offoggy, rainy, and snowy days, I'd also look into amber foglights. Cheap KCs will do the job fine.

When the stock brakes wore out, I'd upgrade to better front pads and rotors,a rear disc swap, and stainless hoses.

I/H/E with a flow-thru cat. Run/Maintain the stock motor until it needs real work, then mini-me. Do a performance (nitrous/boost compatible) rebuild if it'sserious. If you have to pull the motor, upgrade a manualdrivetrain with a better clutch (auto withbetter clutches and torque converter)and possibly an LSD. You may even want to look into different ratios.

I like subtle bodykits. You may prefer something more aggressive. Go for ABS plastic instead of fiberglass.

In the meantime, put in a decent alarm.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:44 AM
HCF Member

Buy rims, a set of proxes', and a full suspension. You will get far more enjoyment out of $1200 worth of suspension/cornering upgrades than $1200 worth of power upgrades. Plus it will ready the car for more power. But the cheaped 2 mods that produce the biggest difference speed/performance wise would be a 96-900 ex transmission and a 99/00 ex automatic intake manifold. I had a 98 sedan lx(same as your car really) and shaved a full second off my 1/4 mile with those two mods alone.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:28 PM

nice ya well i dnt get alot of fog or snow because im in arizona but i'll go fora set ofrims, a set of proxes' and a full suspension in the meantime and i have a viper alarm so im good on that

Old 07-07-2007, 08:49 PM
HCF Member

Alarms are over-rated anymore. Nobody pays attention to them going off - in fact, the Flow-Pro exhaust on my 4x4 Dodge Ram tends to set off. the ones whose owners crank up the sensitivity too high without any effort at all. I'll bet I have the same level of deterrence with the ignition cut-off relay and it's flashing LED.

I think I'll put a small flashing LED circuit in my hatchy and see what happens. Fortunately for me, mine's just a cheap econo-box with minimal investment... unlike some of you guys with your much cooler cars, I don't have as much to lose if someone wants it badly enough.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:50 PM

lol yea my exhaust sets off cars in the parking lot its pretty funny usually i always go back for seconds lol

Quick Reply: heres your chance