General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Hey, I'm looking to buy a civic

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 08:25 AM
Default Hey, I'm looking to buy a civic

I'm looking to buy a civic and I would like to get info on guys that seem to know their ****. It's going to be a used civic.
The cap is 2 Grand and I was looking at the 1999/2000 civic because I like the way they look. I'm still debating about 2 door or 4 door, I find 2 door a pain in the *** but I kinda like it at the same time. What are the benefits of a 2 door vs 4 door? speed?
Also, what should I look for when buying one and what should I avoid? What should be the max km I buy?
Also, I want to mod the engine a bit too to increase performance, is there a place on this forum that I can check out specs of what parts give the best performance for cheapest? or is this something you guys can just tell me here. I was told by a friend to get cold air intakes and custom fuel injectors or something. I'm just looking for opinions and general knowledge that I don't have.
Thanks you, and sorry for all the questions.
I also am looking to do these mods myself and I know little to non about cars, so I've been reading the in the 'DIY' section.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:02 PM
HCF Member

get a civic, make sure its an ex they have power. 2 door is the way to go. the ex are VTEC

Old 10-15-2011, 08:54 PM
HCF Member

I like 2 doors, but they just don't work for me or my wife. I like the 4 door it makes the back seat more usable. I just bought a used Dodge QC 4x4. Having a super cab with fours doors makes the back twice as usable as just having two doors & having to fold the front seats forward ever time you want in the back. On the big old classic cars two doors worked much better I think.
Just my opinion.

In my opinion the weak link to all these cars is the rubber band timing belt. So buying one that has a new belt might not be too bad of a deal. If I was to buy a new car today I would buy a Hyundai Elantra for that reason exactly. The 2011s went to a timing chain on those cars. I hate rubber band engines any make.

Last edited by 90 Civic; 10-15-2011 at 08:59 PM.