General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Are high-mileage Civics reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 05:13 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by imagine70s
I'm looking to buy a Civic coupe, year between 2002-2005. Found some with reasonable price but mostly high mileage (around 170k) after changing timing belt/water bump @ 100k, are these reliable?
What is the asking price for this Civic?

Why the preference for a 02-05 Civic?

Are you shopping through dealers or private parties?

Last edited by RonJ; 03-20-2009 at 05:16 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:07 AM
HCF Member

I just picked up my first Civic, 218k on the clock.

Head gasket needs to be done (exhaust leaking into cooling system), and I'm still pulling 35-36mpg.

The auto tranny is my big concern, but I hear so many good things about these cars running forever......

Old 03-27-2009, 03:57 PM
HCF Member

I bought my 97 hatchback DX with 5 speed manual tranny new in early 98. It now has 245,000+ plus miles. The paint looks horrible but the engine runs like a top and does not burn a drop of oil. The drive shafts have been replaced, the timing belt and water pump have been replaced twice and the manifold converter and exhaust can have been replaced. Needless to say the distributor cap,rotary button,plugs/wires have been replaced a couple of times. Other than the occasional oxygen sensor being replaced I have not had any trouble out of the engine. I just change the oil and filter every 3000 miles and top off the brake fluid as needed. I have never even changed the transmission fluid.
One of our customers is an engineer that used to work for Honda. I asked him what is the most miles that he has seen put on a Honda engine. He replied that he had seen a daily driver Honda automobile with one million miles on it. The engine had not been rebuilt.

Last edited by bradf_nc; 03-27-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by bradf_nc
I bought my 97 hatchback DX with 5 speed manual tranny new in early 98. It now has 245,000+ plus miles. The paint looks horrible but the engine runs like a top and does not burn a drop of oil. The axles have been replaced, the timing belt and water pump have been replaced twice and the manifold converter and exhaust can have been replaced. Needless to say the distributor cap,rotary button,plugs/wires have been replaced a couple of times. Other than the occasional oxygen sensor being replaced I have not had any trouble out of the engine. I just change the oil and filter every 3000 miles and top off the brake fluid as needed. I have never even changed the transmission fluid.
One of our customers is an engineer that used to work for Honda. I asked him what is the most miles that he has seen put on a Honda engine. He replied that he had seen a daily driver Honda automobile with one million miles on it. The engine had not been rebuilt.
Yea, there was a one-million mile Civic, and i'm pretty sure Honda either bought it or offered to buy it and was turned down by the owner.

I wouldn't brag about the transmission fluid never being changed though. You should definitely consider doing a drain/refill, it's very easy and will cost $14.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:30 PM
HCF Member

Heh heh heh I wasn't bragging about not changing the transmission fluid. It had just never occured to me to change it. I will get some Genuine Honda Manual Transmission Fluid and make that happen.
I totally believe that engineer about the one million mile Honda. Years ago at the Burlington NC Harley Davidson shop there was an Evolution powered dresser being serviced. The district manager over heard the mechanics talking about the dresser and the ungodly amount of miles that the engine had on it. The dresser had been sold new at that dealership and that dealership had always serviced the bike. The bike had never had a wrench turned on it except for routine maintaince. The district manager told the home office about the bike. The home office traded the owner a brand new dresser for the old one with the ridiculous amount of miles on it so that the engineers could take the engine apart and examine it.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

a car is only as reliable as the previous owner was....
many times a vehicle is abused and one problem keeps adding up to another and another and the owner calls it a POS turd where in all reality its the previous owner that just didnt give a crap out the vehicles condition.

i fix a problem as soon as i can or need be most the time. like my 66impala i have. its old as dirt and is still a dam good car. only thing it needs is for me to replace the pitman arm for the steering that is worn. everything else ive upkept. ive had the car since i was 16 and im 28now. i love that car. just not the gas milage or bad attention it gets very easily.LOL

and my last 94civic was very abused but with alot of work i got it in good condition besides the paint that is. just took quite a few parts and time.LOL

my friend has a car that she just bought afew months ago and still paying on and her blower stoped working and she is just so lazy to fix it even tho ive offered many MANY times to help her out but i guess she would rather freeze her butt off rather than pay about 20bucks for a new blower motor.LOL its people like her that let a car turn into a POS over time!

Old 03-27-2009, 07:44 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by bradf_nc
I will get some Genuine Honda Manual Transmission Fluid and make that happen.
Oh - you mean 10W30 or 10W40 motor oil?

I just filled mine up with Castrol Syntech 10W40.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:47 PM

just use honda MTF.
detergents
DETERGENTS!

Old 03-27-2009, 09:02 PM
HCF Member

157K on my stock D16y7 and i just boosted it and no problems due to high mileage yet.

Didnt somebody have a million mile Civic?

Old 03-27-2009, 09:11 PM
HCF Member

Quick Reply: Are high-mileage Civics reliable?