General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Hit a deer - would you buy it ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 04:07 PM
Default Hit a deer - would you buy it ?

Keeping this question separate here.
My question is on an Accord, but really its not really a model specific question.

I saw an Accord that is in all repspects exactly what I am looking for. Its a 2003, 70k KMS (not miles), very nice condition.

But the accident report discloses a $6,900 claim from hitting a deer. The Honda dealer says if the body was bent it would never have got back onto the road etc etc. Also says no airbags were deployed. He explained how you could rack up $5k iin no time with simple fender/hood/headlight repairs.

The car is priced about $4,000 CDN (maybe 33-3500 USD) below what it would likely be priced at with no collission.

But at the end of the day, I would hate myself to spend $18,000 only to know I have a car with a bent frame.

The car, from my first test drive, drives excellent, and I took it up to 140km/h (85 mph) and it was a very smooth ride.

So should I be worried that the unibody could be bent, or other problems?
Would I be better to have it inspected by a body shop, or my mechanic? Will either one be able to determine with any certainly whether the body still has the correct integrity?

Is it a matter of proceed with caution, or run away scared?

Obvisouly I want to tell myself it will be fine, but the part of me spending the Ca$h is trying to be more objective.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

Old 05-08-2007, 04:30 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Hit a deer - would you buy it ?

I don't know a whole lot....but when i hita curb doing about 20 slideing around a turn, it cracked my rim and bent my subframe to hell....and its would of been $750 to fix but i know someone and it cost like $350.....but you can take it do a mechanic or autobody shop and they can put it on one of them machines and tell you what is out of line or w/e..

By the way....i was driveing an 89' Camaro...lol

Old 05-08-2007, 05:23 PM
HCF Member

wow $4000 for a 2003 accord? I would do it aside from the repairs done.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:31 PM
HCF Member

Like I said in the other thread, buy it if you think it would be too hard to find another. I suggest that you take it to a mechanic. You can never be too careful on this kind of high-dollar transaction.

Good luck, and I hope it all works out for you. Tell your wife that she'll love it when you finally get it.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:32 PM
HCF Member

it is priced 4,000 lower than the value of a car without a collision history... so how much are you actually paying... 18,000 (about 16,000 in canadian dollar???) which already stands a bit high with the milage, but it may be different where you live. anyhow, i would ask for some type of warranty to go with the vehicle, or have the dealer sign a paper to back up there yada yada yada. If they try to avoid signing a statement on the car... than it probably is too good to be true. You could use this statement against them if you find the car is not what they say it is down the road.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:41 PM
HCF Member

^+1 agreed. any decent dealership will back their work. decent being the keyword there.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:42 PM

Sorry for the gratuitous bump... please take pity on me. My wife is getting mad that I am "dragging" the whole car decision out.
I love this Accord, but cant decide if this Collission might be a deal breaker.

Im pretty much ready to make an offer on it, notwithstanding my concerns about the collission.

Of course i figure you will all tell me run dont walk away... but a deal is a deal.. and it felt fine on the highway.
ughh... always too perfect to be true, right?

Old 05-08-2007, 05:47 PM
HCF Member

Oh ok I see[8D]. it's priced $4000 less....ya I dunno, but if your going to buy used it's always a gamble even if a car only has 50,000 miles on it. Did the deer only take out the front bumper?

Old 05-08-2007, 05:50 PM

hmmmm...sounds too good to be true.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:11 PM

i guess part of it is how trustworthy is a honda dealer...

they gave me a whole spiel about how it wouldnt be on the lot if it wasnt quality, yada yada yada and make it sound like it will be fine.
I would like to believe them, but lets be realistic I guess.

If only these 5spds werent so hard to find.

Quick Reply: Hit a deer - would you buy it ?