General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Holy crap how'd this happen??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 12:26 PM
HCF Member
Default Holy crap how'd this happen??

I'm driving home from work, when my CEL comes on and the motor dies.

I get it towed to the shop and they trace the short to the fuel pump which has croaked.
Later they tell me the fuel pump croaked becasue the fuel tank has pushed up into it!
and they need to replace the fuel tank also.

So Im thinkin WTF? then it dawned on me I have just lowered the rear end but less than 1.5in
and I went over a speed bump a little fast. I wouldnt think this would be able to cause so much damage.

anyone care to comment on my misfortune?

Old 09-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Default RE: Holy crap how'd this happen??

that sucks man. good luck fixing it

Old 09-21-2007, 12:31 PM

im not 100% sure, but im guessing whatevers holding the gastank probably came loose and the tank shifted when u hit the bump. lowering a car and the gas tank have nothing in common.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well lowering the car brings the ground clearance down....
so it COULD be a posibility depending how fast you were going and how you hit that speed bump.... or even the shape of the speedbump...

but either way WATCH OUT for them speedbumps and pot holes! ive hit a few by suprise that have made some preaty nasty sounds but so far no problems....
but if the speed bumps are old and raged looking then they could very well bend the gas tank from bottoming out...

Old 09-21-2007, 01:19 PM

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

well lowering the car brings the ground clearance down....
so it COULD be a posibility depending how fast you were going and how you hit that speed bump.... or even the shape of the speedbump...

but either way WATCH OUT for them speedbumps and pot holes! ive hit a few by suprise that have made some preaty nasty sounds but so far no problems....
but if the speed bumps are old and raged looking then they could very well bend the gas tank from bottoming out...
its only a 1.5" drop, it'd take a very jagged speed bump to touch his gas tank lol. even then, the front of his car would scrape horribly, prolly scraping the whole underside of thecar or prolly justnot being able to get over the bump in the first place. the way the gas tank sits upin the car, i doubt it would have touched the pavement.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Recognized HCF Member

its still posible ive seen some preaty bad speed bumps.LOL
to many factors to slap inplace for accurate judging... but i think its still posible it could have done it..

it could just be a fluke... ya just HAPPENED to hit the tank right in the middle at its weakest point where it wouldnt take much force...
but before i had them replace it id wanna go look at the fuel tank....

and how fast is... ALITTLE to fast...LOL
hell in my 66impala the school speed bumps out the exit used to be a road course for the ones trying to get out fast.LMFAO id go over them huge suckers at 55mph... and thier was like 5 or 6 of them down the parking lot exit.LMFAO but now that i got my civic lowered AND rims i go over ALL speed under 5mph...