General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Honda Speedometers / Odometers are off!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 04:33 PM
HCF Member
Default Honda Speedometers / Odometers are off!

I saw threads in other forums and once heard that a person sued Honda for putting bad speedometers / odometers on their cars. It overregisters speed and mileage, and supposedly Honda did this to get out of warranties earlier! And it's true! I just did a road trip and I looked at the speed registered by my MS Streets & Trips GPS and my speedometer! When my car speedometer was 75 mph - the GPS registered 72 mph. 70 mph - GPS says 68 mph!

I drive a 1999 Civic HX M/T. Is your's off too?

Old 08-08-2008, 06:17 PM
HCF Member

I'm skeptical. There are tolerances. And GPS is not 100% accurate. Also, speedometers aren't correct really. They are average speeds. They can be calculated differently.

You should compare by actually driving 1 mile and checking your odometer to it. The odometer is not controlled by the speedometer.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:51 PM
HCF Member

lol like they said gps isnt completely accurate.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:15 AM
HCF Member

the way I tested my speedo/odo was to go on a highway with mile markers.... all is good.

Not only are GPS units not accurate when it comes to speeds, but if you have custom rims and or different size tires, your speedo/odo will not register accurately.
tire size converter here

Old 08-09-2008, 05:45 AM
HCF Member

only if change the outer diameter of the wheels. which most people don't.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:38 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Apostle
only if you change the outer diameter of the wheels.
no sh*t..... hence the link I put up

Originally Posted by Apostle
........which most people don't.
If you do a visual comparison (which alot of people do) at the time of the tire/rim purchase, you might think everything is the same, but it still can be off...... I recommend the tire size calculator for a more accurate measurement

Also.....even though you can get really really really close(even with the tire size calculator!), the reality is that it's never 100% the same as the original diameter.

Last edited by babyivan; 08-09-2008 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:37 AM
HCF Member

I know a lot of cars are like that. That's why the police won't really bother you for a 5mph difference.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Mine is right on in terms of speed, not sure about miles. But GPS isn't absolutely accurate for speed or distance unless you're going in a perfectly straight line. Drive about 10 miles on an interstate and compare to what the mile signs say.

Civics had only a 36,000 mile warranty, about the shortest in the industry in the first place. It's not like they were trying to promote some super warranty and then cheat on it.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:20 PM
HCF Member

lol. Thanks babyivan. Because I did make a written in stone statement which was meant to be completely inclusive of all wheels down to a tolerance of +/- 2 nanometers.

Also, it's possible I didn't see the last sentence of your post too. It looks like part of your signature. Either way, no need to say "no $*#*" and be disrespectful and annoying. I wasn't aware we were out to get eachother on this forum. I'm pretty sure the point of these forums is to be cordial and help eachother and to disseminate information. Not be an ***. But I guess your name isn't just an arbitrary name, rather "baby" is descriptive.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:32 PM
HCF Member

Forget about the speedo/odo being accurate or not, it's the gas gauge you gotta watch out for! I ran out of gas today and the needle wasnt even all the way down.... WTF!
I guess there's a first time for everything.

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ POST

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ SIG.

Quick Reply: Honda Speedometers / Odometers are off!