General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

An Honest Question: What is the point of modding a Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 06:55 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: An Honest Question: What is the point of modding a Civic?

I personally like a more original car look, even if its something minor like rims or a spoiler. Something to set my car apart from factory stock car driven by old people. I'm young andI'm Asianand I feel that the civic represents both quite well. I'm trying to achieve a nicely modded car but also not cross the line and turn my car into a super ricer. Simply because I can't afford it...

Old 08-10-2007, 11:01 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civic_burns_all

After doing a lot search here, I seemed to notice that most people here with lots of knowledge about cars, seems to admit that moded v8 and v6 engines can never really be beat by a civic. In the few months of talking to many car owners, I have noticed, that most v8 and v6 owners hate ricers, especially honda civic owners. Now my question is, if we can't really beat these a-holes who run their mouth, then whats really the point of modding a civic to be a performance car?

P.S.
The question is not trying to make fun of anyone, just looking at it from a different perspective.
Cars can be desirable for different reasons, and not all of them are relating to "muscle".

After driving Jeeps for almost 15yrs, I wanted to add something to the stable that was a bit more economical without being a total piece of crap. Civic is one of the few cars out there that has good mileage capability, good parts availability, good performance upgrade potential, good used purchase deals, good resale value, good reliability, and a relatively quality feel to it. I also think they often look nicer than other economy cars and can actually be fun to drive.

Some people feel the need to so-calledprove something with the ridiculous car they drive. What they usually prove to me is that they havelittle ability to use their income or sense for their own good. I can understand a businessman driving a high-end Lexus sedanto maintain the image of success in front of clients,a rancher with a K3500 diesel to tow his horsetrailer/tractor/etc., or even a performance enthusiast northernerdriving an STi as his winter car. What I don't understand is the yahoo that blows money to drive an H1/H2 in a crowded US city, the idiot northerner whopays foraVette/Stang/Camaro/TransAm and it's insurance yet can't afford another car for the winter, the "educated" yuppie that complains about gas prices while driving a V8 X5 (premium only, buddy), or the person who buys their car for the fair price of $1000 and installs $2000 rims and a $3000 stereo.

Anyway, if you think the "no replacement for displacement" people are anti-ricer snobby, you should visit a Jeep site sometime. You'd swear old Jeeps were the best thing since breathable air. They don't even like new un-proven Jeep models, especially if they have independent suspension!While I think Jeeps are about as much street-legal fun as one can have on 4 wheels, I'm not against owning a car that gets triple the mileage, riding a motorcycle offroad,building a Samuraifor a shorter wheelbase 4x4, or test-driving a Mini Cooper S for a hoot. Some people just aren't self-confident enoughto have independent thought or tofeelgood about themselveswithout buying things they perceive as status symbols. I had a college roomy that bought a $400 coffeemaker when he could barely make the rent every month. When I bought an $800 mtn bike, he went and got a similar one like the next week for $1200...when he was driving a beaten 10+yr old Civic. He recently bought an old$600K bungalow with a detached one-car garage and almost no yard. For that much he could have gotten a decent smaller house for his GF and he to live in with her daughter, and then a rental/vacation property for extra income and R&R. I guess that's the only way he can feel like a man.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:16 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Kommando
You'd swear old Jeeps were the best thing since breathable air.
They are. Click on my sig pic. Proud owner of a 1980 CJ-7.

ORIGINAL: Kommando
They don't even like new un-proven Jeep models, especially if they have independent suspension!
I personally don't like the Wranglers as they get newer because they're looking less and less like Jeeps with every new model. I understand that things need to evolve - but as they get newer, they also get more complicated... which makes it harder to mod/maintain yourself without the assistance of computers or certified techs. Even though they're proving to be more off-road capable out of the box than previous models, there's something to be said about having to spend less money and hassle undoing the 'new technology' to gain more capability.

IFS flat out is junk compared to solid-axles when it comes to keeping all four wheels on the ground - you simply can't get the same kind of suspension travel out of IFS as you can from solid axles. The only off-road IFS system worth it (as far as wheel travel) is Ford's TTB - but even so, the driveline is problematic at best once you stretch it all out.

Besides, everybody knows that Real Jeeps have leaf springs.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:35 PM
HCF Member

jesus, people, it's not that "deep" of a question, lol.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:22 PM
HCF Member

when it comes to a civic, it's all about money.

you can buy it cheap, maintain it cheap, and even mod it cheap.

sure, you can go buy a z06 with, like what, 50,000 with, i don't know, 500hp. or you can be like my good buddy and buy an integra shell for 100, build an 800hp poor man's type r, that i guarantee could kick a corvette's *** any day of the week.

i simply bought my civic because i could afford it being only 17 and it looks better than all other cheap economy cars out there, not to mention modding my car is also my hobby

Old 08-10-2007, 10:40 PM
HCF Member

I dunno if it's already been said or not, but I think the reason why a lot of V8/V6 owners hate civics is because there stuck with a car that guzzles gas and we just whip around haveing fun

Old 08-11-2007, 12:44 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: theblackpearl

sure, you can go buy a z06 with, like what, 50,000 with, i don't know, 500hp. or you can be like my good buddy and buy an integra shell for 100, build an 800hp poor man's type r, that i guarantee could kick a corvette's *** any day of the week.
You know the funny thing about it is you could not take a 800hp teg out on the street and beat a 500+hp Z06, sorry but the truth is RWD > FWD in any racing environment and when your talking 800hp on a fwd car your looking at doing such drastic things to make it hook up that is can no longer be driven on the street. On the other hand you can slap a $4000 procharger on a base model vette and pull in 600whp and only need slight upgrades to hook up and it will still be a mild manored car on the street.

Also I routinely get 32+mph on the highway in my Vette. It boils down to for the most part a civic or like minded car is a learning platform for most. After that they go one of 3 ways. They grow out of it and move on, they upgrade to something else be it a impost or domestic with more abilities, or they push to try and take the platform as far as it can go.

BTW I call bs on the 800hp teg, pics or you are lieing out of your ***. I cant stand people that do that ****.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:36 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

ORIGINAL: theblackpearl

You know the funny thing about it is you could not take a 800hp teg out on the street and beat a 500+hp Z06, sorry but the truth is RWD > FWD in any racing environment and when your talking 800hp on a fwd car your looking at doing such drastic things to make it hook up that is can no longer be driven on the street. On the other hand you can slap a $4000 procharger on a base model vette and pull in 600whp and only need slight upgrades to hook up and it will still be a mild manored car on the street.

Also I routinely get 32+mph on the highway in my Vette. It boils down to for the most part a civic or like minded car is a learning platform for most. After that they go one of 3 ways. They grow out of it and move on, they upgrade to something else be it a impost or domestic with more abilities, or they push to try and take the platform as far as it can go.

BTW I call bs on the 800hp teg, pics or you are lieing out of your ***. I cant stand people that do that ****.

o ya the newer vettes can get good milage.... IF YOU STAY OUTTA THE GAS
and highway mode doesnt that kill some cylinders and run in 4cylinder mode?? my dad is wanting one as soon as they sell my grandpas old farm.... but on the highway my civic still gets 38mpg typicaly highway

Old 08-11-2007, 08:27 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ej6buddy

jesus, people, it's not that "deep" of a question, lol.
It's a Jeep thing... you wouldn't understand.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:48 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: phsballer123

[align=left]here is the reason i have a 2000 civic si!!!!! because when i roll down the streets i could care less who is driving the mustang or who is driving the camaro. i usually never even look at them because i don't care about american cars in that way. but when i am rolling down the road whether it be to the friday and saturday night illegals or just going to get a gallon of milk... when i am coming up on another civic or an integra or some other 4 cylinder car (sometimes 6's as well) i wanna show that i am faster and my car is better. its like honda owners are in there own little world when it comes to there pride and joy. i know i am and i love every minute when i am behind the wheel. (sorry for the long *** reply but hey thats how i feel)[/align]
Its the people like you who I make upset . I dont ever induce racing or ever rev or anything like that. Unless some punk does it to me excessively is when I show them who is boss.

Quick Reply: An Honest Question: What is the point of modding a Civic?