General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

how am i supposed to shift an automatic car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 05:35 PM
HCF Member
Default how am i supposed to shift an automatic car?

say if I'm park and I want to reverse, do I just push the lever and pull straight to reverse or do I push the release and go through each one slowly? sorry if the question seems super gay or something but I want my transmission to last as long as possible.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:05 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: how am i supposed to shift an automatic car?

No comment on the gay part...hahahaha.lol.
To put it in gear to go forward or reverse you must have the brake pushed in then you change gears then take the foot off and gas it. When reversing and the car is pushing back don't change gears while in motionto d3 or d4 right away that can mess up the tyranny on the long run.

example...reverse stop carand change gears (D3)and gas it and you should be fine
But above 50 MPH you should use the D4

Old 01-05-2008, 06:09 PM
HCF Member

I think as long as u are not moving while you do it you are not going to hurt anything.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:02 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....Someone who has posted 293 times on this board doesn't know that Reverse is right next to Park....and that when you put your foot on the brake, you only move one position to go into reverse? Push the lever and go through each one slowly? There are no other ones (gear positions)to go thru when you're moving from park to reverse. Giving you the benefit of the doubt...the most important thing to remember is that when shifting from a foward gear to reverse, come to a complete stop first....and the same for vice versa.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:05 PM
HCF Member

hey thanks, i hope u understand but recently a lot of automatic 01 civic drivers have been having transmission issues so i have been scared. My main question is whenever i shift, can i just pull it to whatever gear i want, or should I do it from gear to gear slowly? when i want to shift to park, do I just go straight from drive all the way up, or should i go up slowly to each gear wait a half a second and then go. I've seen some people just pull down or upreally fast.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:06 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: DelawareDon

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....Someone who has posted 293 times on this board doesn't know that Reverse is right next to Park....and that when you put your foot on the brake, you only move one position to go into reverse?
1. Don't get pissy.
2. Post count means nothing.
3. Most of us drive manuals so sorry if we don't have it memorized.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:12 PM
HCF Member

Well automatic transn are way more expensive then manual so i would completely stop and then put it in d4, dont slam iyt in just put it in d4 gently completely stoping save your tranny

Old 01-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well to save the cars automatic tranny just dont get in and mash the gas instantly....
thats the main thing that makes trannys fail.... some cars are worse than others.... like my dads buick. you have to put it in gear wait a second or two while still holding the brake and then driving......

the WORST thing you can do to a automatic tranny is rev the motor and then slaming it in gear with the gas still smashed down... that will burn out a tranny in NO TIME!!!!!

Old 01-05-2008, 07:23 PM
HCF Member

well i mashed the gas once or twice while it was in park...
should i stop doing that? I thought it was good to let the gas circulate on a cold day?

when you say mash the gas, do you mean while driving? i tend to accelerate pretty hard because i like to hear the noise of my intake and the vrooom noise.

thanks for not flaming me... can you tell I should have a few wakaba patches on my car??

Old 01-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well reving up the motor is fine when the motors warmed up but i wouldnt rev it to high when its cold.... just keep it easy on the motor alittle on a cold start up.. you can still drive it just dont floorboard it right away....

BUT just be sure that before you shift it in gear your reving up the motor is back down to idle speed!!!! if you pump the RPMs up to afew K RPMS and then put it in gear before the RPM slows down its still bad.... but not AS BAD as reving up the motor and keeping on the higher reving while slaming it in gear which does do a wicked burn out.... BUT a automatic trany will not take to many of them without burning out the clutches internaly which means a LARGE rebuilt bill

ive gone thru my young stupid days... ive nuetral droped my 66impala ALOT... suprisingly it doesnt slip from as many times as ive done it... but ive also been in a friends car that we where all screwing around with her and i moved the shifter into nuetral while she was coming to a stop... and well she got pissed off and after it got reved high she realized i put it in nuetral and she quickly slamed it into gear.... and well about 1second later.... the car wouldnt move anymore........ and had to be towed home... and turned out to be a 1500dollar tranny rebuilt bill.... but she didnt hit me with the rebuild bill cause it was already starting to slip alittle from her doing nuetral drops herself before....

Quick Reply: how am i supposed to shift an automatic car?